Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

I wouldn't put it past them to try, but they'll never be able to staff it under Florida West. Not with the current pilot market. They would have to find the worst wretches in the bottom of the pilot barrel willing to get hired into Florida West, and even they would not be enough.
If they paid the new hires at FL West a LOT more than they're paying Atlas pilots, they could staff it. The Pilot Shortage is still in it's infancy, and it is already affecting the entire industry. Can't give a crappy carrier new aircraft...have to have the pilots to fly them!

Atlas will need to improve the current contract drastically to man all these airplanes they are wanting to fly.

PS-Delta just announced they are having problems staffing their MD-88s and 717s, as they are having a lot of new hires leaving for other airlines!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Cliff, there is not yet a pilot shortage. At the piece of crap 1 1/2 airplane overseas outfit where I work are 4 Americans who would love to come back to the US. Problem is we are all late forties and older, 3 are captains, I am an f/o. The captains don't want to start out again as a first officer. All of us are trying to get some form of retirement income and as an f/o at any US airline that will be impossible. Same goes for many other US captains flying at foreign airlines.
Once you pass a certain age (around 45-50) and your company bites the dust there are not many options in the US, going overseas is the only way. I know many US pilots working in the Middle East and Asia, most of them would love to come back. A 12000 hr B744 captain I know just went to a regional so he could be home more.
I have been applying at Atlas for ages. I finally have had 2 phone interviews. The first one I had not flown in a while, so I was advised to get some hours and try a year later, then I had worked for too many companies. Yes, my resume looks like a graveyard of failed airlines. Flown widebody for 12 years, the whale for 4 years now, been all over the globe, dodged the bullet in Afghanistan. And can't even get an interview.

Atlas would be perfect for me. I live where there is a base, a 15 minute ride to work. My family can deal with me being gone for 3 weeks, which is half of what I do now for less time off. I would be happy, wife and kids be happy --> Atlas be happy. I would stay until I retire.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:20 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Airplaneflyer11 View Post
Anybody heard about calls going out for interviews soon? I wasn't able to go in March so I was put on the wait list for the next round. Keep hearing June but no call yet.
Calls are going out for middle of June interviews. If you haven't heard anything soon, I would suggest a friendly email reminder.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Airplaneflyer11 View Post
Anybody heard about calls going out for interviews soon? I wasn't able to go in March so I was put on the wait list for the next round. Keep hearing June but no call yet.
I heard calls are going out for middle of June MIA interviews.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
If they paid the new hires at FL West a LOT more than they're paying Atlas pilots, they could staff it.
FW has one airplane and 25-ish pilots. How exactly would they staff more than, say, one more airplane? You think the FAA would make every pilot on property a check airman to handle a massive expansion?
Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
FW has one airplane and 25-ish pilots. How exactly would they staff more than, say, one more airplane? You think the FAA would make every pilot on property a check airman to handle a massive expansion?
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/94926-new-hire-resignations-impacting-operation.html
Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Has anyone from the March 22-24 interviews heard anything about a class date yet? Still swimming in the pool.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by overcast View Post
Cliff, there is not yet a pilot shortage. At the piece of crap 1 1/2 airplane overseas outfit where I work are 4 Americans who would love to come back to the US. Problem is we are all late forties and older, 3 are captains, I am an f/o. The captains don't want to start out again as a first officer. All of us are trying to get some form of retirement income and as an f/o at any US airline that will be impossible. Same goes for many other US captains flying at foreign airlines.
Once you pass a certain age (around 45-50) and your company bites the dust there are not many options in the US, going overseas is the only way. I know many US pilots working in the Middle East and Asia, most of them would love to come back. A 12000 hr B744 captain I know just went to a regional so he could be home more.
I have been applying at Atlas for ages. I finally have had 2 phone interviews. The first one I had not flown in a while, so I was advised to get some hours and try a year later, then I had worked for too many companies. Yes, my resume looks like a graveyard of failed airlines. Flown widebody for 12 years, the whale for 4 years now, been all over the globe, dodged the bullet in Afghanistan. And can't even get an interview.

Atlas would be perfect for me. I live where there is a base, a 15 minute ride to work. My family can deal with me being gone for 3 weeks, which is half of what I do now for less time off. I would be happy, wife and kids be happy --> Atlas be happy. I would stay until I retire.
Keep plugging away Overcast.....this will get sorted out eventually and they will need you. Some on here have been rescued from dark places with a job offer from Atlas
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by RyeMex View Post
Has anyone from the March 22-24 interviews heard anything about a class date yet? Still swimming in the pool.
Not a peep...
Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Slightly tilted right and mostly asleep.

Originally Posted by Av8Nw8T View Post
Calls are going out for middle of June interviews. If you haven't heard anything soon, I would suggest a friendly email reminder.
Thanks. I'll start trying to shake the tree again.