Search
Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2012

How much time do they give you to resign with your current employer(2 weeks rules) and the beginning of your class?

Im in the pool right now( excited!!!!). Im trying to plan ahead by getting an idea of how long i have to prepare.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
Best of luck in your search for employment! However, if you're interested in a life at Atlas, my suggestion would be to heed the advice of those currently employed and read the thread. Tons of useful information contained within. Obviously, you can skim through many of the pages to get to the pertinent information that you're interested in, since there's also a fair bit of chaff as well.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I actually have read the vast majority of this thread a while back. I've wanted to get on at Atlas for the last four years, I would rate it as my number one destination. I just haven't read the last few (probably more like 50) pages as suggested as research earlier and felt the comment was slightly condescending.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by RunnerMark View Post
I apologize for not reading 486 pages of thread. I've been busy with other things, you know... like applying for employment.
We've all been there. Many of us have several uniforms from various rodeos...so starting a scrum with guys here who are trying to help isn't going to help.

There are -400 guys from World and elsewhere out there as well. While no one would doubt the advantages of being able to bring folks aboard and run them through a short course; I'd be surprised if they have one approved right now simply because there was never a need before. Next, Atlas got burned a few years back with folks who came, got the rating and bolted. While that may not be the case here, they may be concerned that unless there were some ironclad agreements...like seniority resignation...they don't want to risk it.

And believe it or not, I suspect that they do feel a sense of responsibility to people who have their apps in and have been screened. You may not want to hear that, but it's a possibility, knowing some of the people in HR who are involved.

As to the 468+ pages? Sure, we understand that you have more important things on your mind. That said, don't for a minute think that -400 current and qualified will give you a leg up in the first stage. There IS a process, it DOES involve an online test and even folks who have a lot of international experience have commented on the kick in the "gentlemen's salad" (thanks Top Gear) it is.

What I'm about to say is specific to no one who has posted. They have a pretty good nose and eye. They aren't interested in folks with a chip on their shoulder, a load of BS to spread, or a "freight dog" mentality. Same with folks who show up with a "at my last airline we..." Simply because if it worked so well at the last airline...they'd still be in business.

Like I said...NONE of what I just wrote is directed at ANYONE who has posted here.

I would venture to say that the Local and the Division have made contacts and urged preferential status be given to anyone who is furloughed or out of work, especially Local 1224 members. At the end of the day, they have no control over that decision.

So...while they may be accepting apps, the interview window is closed until after the first of the year. And they most likely already have a list of folks they will be contacting then...Kalitta is probably about the same. And with the small number of operators of the -400 in the US, looking at Asian carriers would also be a really smart move.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by Guasabara View Post
How much time do they give you to resign with your current employer(2 weeks rules) and the beginning of your class?

Im in the pool right now( excited!!!!). Im trying to plan ahead by getting an idea of how long i have to prepare.
The folks in HR do everything they can to give you all the heads up they can. They understand the need to take care of your current employer.

I would expect some Christmas notices going out for the first class in Jan, rumored to be 14 Jan. Also, latest rumors are, they will be running a class every two weeks with numbers being 8 to 10 per class.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

ATC, I agree with you. I'm not trying to start a scrum, believe me, it's not worth it. I have done the research. I'm sorry for misinterpreting the Atlas website and being vaguely optimistic, I'm sure this was a venial error. My frustration has nothing to do with Atlas, and certainly nothing to do with the pilot group... I want to be a part of that group!! The frustration is at the industry. It's ironic that nearly EVERY corporate gig won't even look at you without a type rating... then when you do have a type rating airlines don't care. Essentially my -400 rating is completely worthless.

I wish us all good luck, and I do appreciate tips and help, I know I need them.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Whaledriver View Post
The folks in HR do everything they can to give you all the heads up they can. They understand the need to take care of your current employer.

I would expect some Christmas notices going out for the first class in Jan, rumored to be 14 Jan. Also, latest rumors are, they will be running a class every two weeks with numbers being 8 to 10 per class.

Good Luck!
Thanks very much brother. I am just very eager to get there.Hopefully hiring plans do not change. See you all soon. Peace.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Guasabara View Post
They generally give a 3 weeks heads up.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by RunnerMark View Post
ATC, I agree with you. I'm not trying to start a scrum, believe me, it's not worth it. I have done the research. I'm sorry for misinterpreting the Atlas website and being vaguely optimistic, I'm sure this was a venial error. My frustration has nothing to do with Atlas, and certainly nothing to do with the pilot group... I want to be a part of that group!! The frustration is at the industry. It's ironic that nearly EVERY corporate gig won't even look at you without a type rating... then when you do have a type rating airlines don't care. Essentially my -400 rating is completely worthless.

I wish us all good luck, and I do appreciate tips and help, I know I need them.
Understand...believe me. FWIW, the issue is not falling on deaf ears...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2012

first time poster....

I'm curious if this happened to anyone else.

I got called for an interview on a fri. I was flying when they called so I called them when I landed which was within 3 hours of their call. I left a message.

I waited till weds of the following week, I still had not received a call back, so I tried again. According to the message, HR was out of the office for the week (doing interviews I presume).

I waited yet another week and a half with no return phone call, so I called and left yet another message.

Its been almost 2 months and I never received a return call.

I have thought about re-applying, but I really don't know what to do.

Any advice?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by lilflyr77 View Post
first time poster....

I'm curious if this happened to anyone else.

I got called for an interview on a fri. I was flying when they called so I called them when I landed which was within 3 hours of their call. I left a message.

I waited till weds of the following week, I still had not received a call back, so I tried again. According to the message, HR was out of the office for the week (doing interviews I presume).

I waited yet another week and a half with no return phone call, so I called and left yet another message.

Its been almost 2 months and I never received a return call.

I have thought about re-applying, but I really don't know what to do.

Any advice?
No clue here, but i know a lady that is going through the same thing.