Search
Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Position: Inside your house

I was given a scenario, (flight from HNL-SYD) and then asked what customer that might be for. I would know basics of the operation like fleet count, customers, etc.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: What day is it?

Originally Posted by doverby View Post
So I've been through the thread, but it's been a little while. Most of the past interviewees said the interviews were straighforward, with questions about what are typically expected. Jepps, maybe some other technical, why the desire to work for Atlas, tell me about a time, why not _____ (insert other airline here)?

In their invite email, they indicated that they'd like interviewees to show up after having read the company annual report. There's some great information in the annual report, but does anyone know of an area of this 117 page document that one should focus on? It's a pretty in depth, interesting report on the company. Do they want you to know what percentage of fuel expense was mitigated through the increased efficiency of the 747-8F in 2013, or do they want you to speak intelligently about broader categories, such as being able to list ACMI and CMI customers of theirs, fleet size, etc. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Understand what the company does and how ACMI works. And how a customer leased, demand driven operation means that once the wheels are up on Leg 1, all bets may or may not be off in terms of your schedule. Which means you may not be back for that holiday of special event and no, they're not going to fly you home for it if you get magically "sick."

If you can do that as well as understand and fully accept that it's not a 3 on 4 off domestic job and never will be...you will have gleaned the critical parts of the report.

Truth is, they're getting fed up with guys who come, get the rating, complain from Day 1 about how they did it at Brand X, and start pumping resumes to legacies as soon as the type rating is in their hip pocket. It cost's a lot of $$ for them to do that and lose someone and they're over it.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot

Originally Posted by ATCsaidDoWhat View Post
Truth is, they're getting fed up with guys who come, get the rating, complain from Day 1 about how they did it at Brand X, and start pumping resumes to legacies as soon as the type rating is in their hip pocket. It cost's a lot of $$ for them to do that and lose someone and they're over it.
Boo hoo. If they made any strides toward improving QoL instead of degrading it in every quadrant, perhaps some of us would be more inclined to stay...
Old 11-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747

The Atlas suggestion to review the annual report was, to me, a "how much are you interested in Atlas" type of thing.

I got the basics of the fleet count, the customers and routes, and then I cherry picked a few numbers that I could quote during the interview to show that I had, indeed, done what they suggested. I chose to highlight the year to year net profit for the previous three years.

Not only did I have a chance to recite these numbers when they asked what I knew about Atlas, but for me it was pretty interesting to see that in '08, '09, and 10 Atlas had basically doubled their net profit each year. It added genuine enthusiasm from me to the discussion during the interview which they seemed to pick up.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 747 CA

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
Boo hoo. If they made any strides toward improving QoL instead of degrading it in every quadrant, perhaps some of us would be more inclined to stay...
This forum needs a like button.

Does it say anything in that report about imputed taxes and profit sharing?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: 757/767 FO

Hopefully they don't don't think that's the only reason why people are leaving. Sure, there are a few, but the nickle and dime stuff from scheduling to travel and training are the bigger issues. QoL issues that could be solved. The new contract will be 2 years to late to save a lot of these losses.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: Front Row

ATCSaidItsWhat

please refer to here....
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ma...-go-ual-7.html

Last edited by thesandbox; 11-28-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: Front Row

What a lot of people fail to realize here is that you will basically be a salaried pilot which only costs the company a fixed amount that they have built in. About the only way you will break your rig for days on is to block more than about 77-78 hours in a 17 day period or if they send you home early you would have to hard block over 62 hours in about 13 days just to break guarantee. There might be a few on the 747 that can do that but on the 767 I would venture to say that has never happened. You go fly a NRT-SYD-PVG turn where you block about 21 hours...guess what you are paid???....less than 10 hours for your time flying the legs on those days. Most anywhere else that would put you about 11 hours over guarantee right there. Nope not here....you are salaried at less than 5 hours a day to be gone 17 days and commute on mostly days off. That amounts to neither fair pay nor QOL.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: 747 F/O

No, they aren't getting fed up over it and it doesn't cost them the amount of money you think. There is a STACK of resumes of people wanting to work for Atlas as proved by this thread alone. Their training costs are so low that the revolving door doesn't hurt them enough, because it clearly doesn't show in their willingness to change anything. The only thing that will make them aware is if the planes stop moving, which they haven't had much of a hiccup with yet...(keep on out basing!!!) They do not care about you, or us, or hiring, or other contracts, or training expenses. If they did, don't you think it would be clear? Do you really think they are forward looking? No, and its clear every single day out on line. There hasn't been one single indication from Atlas that the things you mention are true. Money is the only thing they understand and we haven't communicated that well enough yet, believe it.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Knuckle-dragging line pilot

Originally Posted by thesandbox View Post
What a lot of people fail to realize here is that you will basically be a salaried pilot which only costs the company a fixed amount that they have built in. About the only way you will break your rig for days on is to block more than about 77-78 hours in a 17 day period or if they send you home early you would have to hard block over 62 hours in about 13 days just to break guarantee. There might be a few on the 747 that can do that but on the 767 I would venture to say that has never happened. You go fly a NRT-SYD-PVG turn where you block about 21 hours...guess what you are paid???....less than 10 hours for your time flying the legs on those days. Most anywhere else that would put you about 11 hours over guarantee right there. Nope not here....you are salaried at less than 5 hours a day to be gone 17 days and commute on mostly days off. That amounts to neither fair pay nor QOL.
My average over three years is right at 72 hours credit/month. DHL side is more stable than AMC. But yeah, it's always been for days away. The exception was the SEA-Japan AMC run. Buddy did that for a few months straight and got paid off flight time.