NWA anticipates recalling pilots

Subscribe
NWA ANTICIPATES RECALLING 40-50 PILOTS THIS YEAR (8/01/06)

NWA informed ALPA today that it anticipates recalling pilots sooner than previously scheduled due to higher than anticipated flying levels. NWA said it plans on recalling 40 to 50 pilots for the remainder of 2006 and it expects recalls to continue at a reduced, but steady pace throughout 2007 to support growth and attrition. NWA will begin the recall process by sending out 75 Preliminary Notices of Recall (PNRs) this week and plans to have 20-25 pilots in training this October. As always, please remember that NWA's staffing plan may change. Currently, there are about 700 Northwest pilots on furlough.
NWA in chapter 11, but AA making $300 million quarterly profits.

NWA recalling, NO recalls since 9-11 at AA.

Go figure.
Easy to figure. When AA purchased TWA over 1900 of about 2400 TWA pilots where furloughed. AA cut St. Louis operation from around 450 to about 200. Just on example of the elimination of routes previous flowed by TWA. This doesn't even take into account the number of aircraft they eliminated.
All American did was eliminate competition. People had nothing to do with there plans when purchasing TWA.
Congrats to the NWA recalls.
NWA is recalling pilots because everyone is jumping ship!
Quote: NWA is recalling pilots because everyone is jumping ship!
I doubt you could one instance of that.
Abandon ship ?
I was wondering where they are jumping to ?
Quote: NWA recalling, NO recalls since 9-11 at AA.

Go figure.
Are AA pilots flying lots of overtime/opentime? If they're feeding at the trough, that's largely the problem.
A few of the Delta pilots have been flying lots of overtime/greenslipping. I just don't see how someone could rationalize working all that overtime with so many guys/gals still on the streets.

Luckily, it sounds like most of the Delta furloughees have found better, well atleast more stable work. About 60-70% of the pilots recalled have bypassed for one reason or another.
Quote: A few of the Delta pilots have been flying lots of overtime/greenslipping. I just don't see how someone could rationalize working all that overtime with so many guys/gals still on the streets.

Continental was the king of that. The years that followed 9/11 not even Alpa could calculate how Cal was going to get through the busy summer months with the low staffing numbers but, mangement knew thows greety b@st@rds would be open time *****s. Now, the're hiring like crazy. Why, because mangement went as far as they could during those years without recalling a single pilot until they just couldn't anymore. It seems to me that airline mangement just doesn't like to recall. Had a United 777 fo in the jumpseat the other day, he said: "we're short on pilots", here at AWA we're short on Capts. (always have been), now NWA needs pilots back. Getting an airline to recall a pilot must be like pulling teeth for them.

Nice to hear good news though, congrats to the recalls.
Quote: I doubt you could one instance of that.
I know of a couple of pilots who have quit NWA. Both are military retirees who were flying as narrow body F/Os. They said that the job and the commute were not worth it for $75k/yr., and are no longer in the aviation industry. This isn't a slam on Northwest; the same is probably true at several airlines out there, including DAL.