Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Safety
What's your policy on overweight people? >

What's your policy on overweight people?

Notices
Safety Accidents, suggestions on improving safety, etc

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Default What's your policy on overweight people?

I was jumpseating to work on CAL the other day and there was an issue where we had to sit at the gate for a bit. The FA walks up and says one passenger is unhappy where he's stuck.

The unhappy pax was about 6'2" and in shape. The guy he was next to was about 5'10" and a good 300+lbs while sitting there with a McDonalds bag. The heavy was overflowing into the pax's seat.

Luckily they found a small girl to put there and swap that guy to another seat. However until they had that solution they were about to simply pull him off the flight. I didn't really like that scenario. Some guy is so obese that it warrants pulling the person next to him off the plane.... The way I see it your seat is like real-estate. You buy your's and it's yours. If someone is spilling into it then they should be removed.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Weekend and Holiday Pilot

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Sippin' at the Troubadour

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck View Post
If someone is spilling into it then they should be removed.
I agree. But unfortunately our country is so politically correct we remove the other person and let the fat a** fly. We are so scared that we will hurt someone's fellings its rediculous.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

I prefer to NOT date them.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

I had a pax on the other day that was so large, their a$$ bent the arm rest into the aisle. We had to write it up on landing and the plane became a pumpkin. Couldn't get a cart past.

Fat pax need to buy first class seats or get yanked off.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Che Guevara

I think there should be a policy outlined. It's a safety issue everbit as much as it is one about respecting the person next to you. We aren't a government entity where we're required to cater to anyone. There need to be stipulations written on each ticket that should someone be over "X" size they'll have to purchase two seats. It's a matter of physics not feelings. You can't put someone 50+ inches around into those seats.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

I once had that big Cheff from MSY on board, the guy with the cooking TV show back in the '80's, Prudhome? or something like that? Anyway, he was as wide as he was tall, but he had bought two first class seats.

He had to ride an electric cart to the boarding door (could not walk, too heavy) and I had to pull the armrest block (727) out from between the two first class seats so he would fit there, in the middle of the two, and we had to use two seat belt extensions, no joke. But at least he knew he was huge and paid for two first class seats, so no problems.

I don't know how some of these NFL Lineman size guys expect to fit in Coach, all in One seat! Did I read that somebody (SWA?) charges for two seats if you are over 300lbs?

If airlines (not SWA) are going to charge you for checked baggs "due to the weight", maybe they should start weighing the pax too!

Now, where did I put my salad...?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

I agree with ToiletDuck that this is more a safety issue. It should be analyzed as a safety issue or it'll just get moved to the back burner. As a passenger, I detest sitting next to a large sized person with his/her sweaty fat arms and thighs pressed tightly against mine for the entire 4 hour flight. If you are that fat, you probably should take your own car when you want to go somewhere. Don't force your lard on other innocent people.

I'm sure there will be a lot of chunky folks get all offended by my remarks, but it's time everyone take personal responsibility for themselves. Be cognizant that you have a problem and that there is a solution.

It would behoove airlines to establish a rule on this. Or get with Boeing to design something different.

Thread moved to Safety Forum.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Welcome to America, and it's only getting worse.

I think there should most certainly be rules on this sort of thing but it has to be fair. Charging a guy built like a house because he's 250 isn't quite he same as charging more for a woman who is 5'2 and 250. Maybe they could use BMI instead of just weight.

Although I'm really a fan of the charger per the pound since I'm only 140!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Che Guevara

Simply have a width measurement. If you're past it you buy two or just pick up a first class.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

It's safety issue, right? Just put a mockup of an overwing exit in the jet bridge, "You must fit through this opening to board the aircraft."