PIC vs widebody intl SIC time...

Subscribe
Hi, to preface my question I am like many others out there with 2500hrs of SIC 121 US regional time and 0 121 PIC. Captain upgrade is likely 3-5 years (2 minimum) where I am at. I am considering going overseas to fly for a well known carrier flying wide body aircraft internationally (passenger). The upgrade would likely be 7 years (which is longer than I would plan on staying). My question is, in the eyes of a US legacy carrier recruiter, how would widebody SIC experience flying to 60 countries compare to say 1500 121 PIC gained staying at a regional? How would one fare trying to re-enter the US (legacy carrier) market 5 years from now on either course? Thanks!
As depressing as this sounds I'd say staying at your regional and pursuing PIC time is a better choice if you really want a US major airline career in the long run.

You just don't get the maturing experience needed to compete for major airline job being SIC in any sort of operation. Another part of it - that overseas carrier is not operating by FAA standards and is not under FAA supervision. It is a big red flag.

Also, besides the flight hours I suggest you strengthen other important aspects of your application. You have to have leadership, customer service and preferably volunteer experience. Remember - recruiters are HR folks, not pilots. Make sure you get involved in your community, housing association (talking about it was 80% of my interview), maybe some volunteer organization, always go out of your way to help passengers - a couple of thank you letters from your CP will go a long way too.

Good luck!
PIC time is better. Domestic is better. Overseas flying sucks. I flew the 777 around the world and "there's no place like home!"
It depends, generally PIC is the safest route but for those who hire without it I'm sure they would consider international widebody SIC to better than regional SIC. It's a reasonable assumption in that the screening and culture at a place like EK would ensure that you are not the stereotypical "flight-info" regional FO.
thanks for the feedback. In no small part, the compensation, being 3-4 times what I make now is a factor. I just want to work my way back around 5 years from now... the 're-entry' strategy is what im concerned about...