Line up and Wait

Subscribe
This just went out over the FAA Safety website:

Line Up and Wait
Notice Number: NOTC2554
Line Up and Wait Phraseology Change

· Beginning September 30, 2010, the words Line Up and Wait will replace the words “Position and Hold” to instruct a pilot to enter the runway to await take-off clearance. Under the new “Line Up and Wait phraseology, the controller will:

-State your call-sign;
-State the departure runway;
-State “Line Up and Wait”.

·Exercise Caution. Be aware the phrase “Traffic Holding in Position” will continue to be used to advise other aircraft that traffic has been authorized to “Line Up and Wait” on an active runway.

· REMEMBER: Never cross a hold line without explicit ATC instructions. You may not enter a runway unless you have been:

-Instructed to cross or taxi onto that specific runway
-Cleared to take off from that runway, or
-Instructed to “Line Up and Wait” on that specific runway.

Please visit: www.faa.gov/go/runwaysafety/ for more details on the change as well as to view an instructional animation explaining the new phraseology.
Quote: This just went out over the FAA Safety website:

Line Up and Wait
Notice Number: NOTC2554
Line Up and Wait Phraseology Change

· Beginning September 30, 2010, the words Line Up and Wait will replace the words “Position and Hold” to instruct a pilot to enter the runway to await take-off clearance. Under the new “Line Up and Wait phraseology, the controller will:

-State your call-sign;
-State the departure runway;
-State “Line Up and Wait”.

·Exercise Caution. Be aware the phrase “Traffic Holding in Position” will continue to be used to advise other aircraft that traffic has been authorized to “Line Up and Wait” on an active runway.

· REMEMBER: Never cross a hold line without explicit ATC instructions. You may not enter a runway unless you have been:

-Instructed to cross or taxi onto that specific runway
-Cleared to take off from that runway, or
-Instructed to “Line Up and Wait” on that specific runway.

Please visit: www.faa.gov/go/runwaysafety/ for more details on the change as well as to view an instructional animation explaining the new phraseology.
Finally getting "standardized" with the rest of the world
I think all of the 121 people have gotten the word on this, but I'll bet things will entertaining at the GA fields for a few days...
Quote: I think all of the 121 people have gotten the word on this, but I'll bet things will entertaining at the GA fields for a few days...
I was flying through Ft Pierce (FPR) the other day and the controller gave "line up and wait" to a weekend warrior type guy...and all he got in response was a clueless "..uhh..say again?" I got a kick out of it.

That's the end of my hilarious story
I heard a 121 crew today respond "line up and wait" to tower's instruction "taxi into postition and hold". All I was thinking was ... tool.
Quote: I heard a 121 crew today respond "line up and wait" to tower's instruction "taxi into postition and hold". All I was thinking was ... tool.
Yeah, not much point in that is there.
Quote: I heard a 121 crew today respond "line up and wait" to tower's instruction "taxi into postition and hold". All I was thinking was ... tool.
They don't do LUAW at my airport yet. FAA said it's going to go in effect as of the 30th. I guess some airports are jumping the gun?