Former pax 121 pilots to cargo....

Subscribe
Let me start by saying that I have worked for 2 regionals, Mesa and now Comair, and I'm getting pretty fed up with all the rhetoric and bs in the passenger industry. Lately, I have been considering applying to FedEx. Is there anything that you regret about moving to a cargo carrier? Anything that you wish you would have known before making the move? I want the negatives. Is there any more insight that you may be able to pass along other than the standard "get used to flying the back-side of the clock"?

The main thing that I am looking for is stability...Cargo offers that! I have always been a little skeptical about going the cargo route though (mostly due to lack of info).... If you have any positive info that you want to share, please do so.

Thanks in advance for the input.

dave
pax to Cargo any regrets....no. I did passenger for years and moved to cargo last year. The nice thing about passenger flying is you are spoon fed and you always know your flying schedule. In cargo, a lot of the time it is up to the crew to get everything moving, ie - ground handlers, transportation, etc. And in cargo you will find yourself loitering around hotels a lot more and your schedule will change a lot! - 2 days ago I had a 4:30pm T.O. time on Monday, 4 changes later its 8AM Tuesday. Also, I find myself flying a lot more feeling tired than I did hauling pax. Hope this helps. Big difference: I don't spend near as much time thinking about turning on/off the fasten seat belt sign!
Depends on who you fly for. FEDEX, UPS, ABX, ASTAR all have fairly stable schedules. You bid your trips and fly them. Things don't really change all that much. If you are flying for some of the other carriers things may be a bit more unstable. ABX doesn't get crew meals for most flights, but most are less than 4.5 hours.

Boxes don't complain about the turbulance, don't get sick, etc.

No regrests.
Quote: Depends on who you fly for. FEDEX, UPS, ABX, ASTAR all have fairly stable schedules. You bid your trips and fly them. Things don't really change all that much. If you are flying for some of the other carriers things may be a bit more unstable. ABX doesn't get crew meals for most flights, but most are less than 4.5 hours.

Boxes don't complain about the turbulance, don't get sick, etc.

No regrests.
That's a great screen name. In an issue of Military History magazine in 2002 he gave a pretty good interview. It was the last one he ever gratned before he passed away. It was pretty intersting to read.
Flying the backside of the clock can really suck. Not uncommon to show at 1:30 am and get done early in the afternoon.

The thing is, what is a great job today may not be next year. Who would of thought that people would be leaving Delta and United to come over to the cargo side.
Best part of cargo... No flight attendants go missing in the hotel at show time, and no rude, inconsiderate or obnoxious bus riding type passengers. You normally get weekends off, and can have enought time to make your layovers mini vacations or go home if you want.
One word. At least right now because things could change.

Stability.
Only you know what you like and don't like.....I did 18 months of pax and it drove me crazy. Don't want to stand in the door and say thanks for flying brand X...don't want to say "now sit back relax and enjoy the flight!" In fact if I never hear that @#$%ing phrase again it'll be too soon.

Sure we fly plenty at nights, also days, also international, also sit at home on reserve and not get used. The flexibility is amazing. We fly all over the world 24/7 go to places you can't even pronounce....like Peoria.

Best part about cargo... no flight attendants....worst part about cargo...no flight attendants. Whatever you like or don't like someone else will not like or like.

Air Cargo is stable and growing. Gotta love it and at the end of the day when you strap on that jet does it really matter to you what you're hauling around as long as you're the one flying?