Island Air?

Subscribe
Anyone know if there is anything going on over at Island Air out of HNL? It seems like they have had the same 10 guys on furlough for the last 3 years. Does anyone have any inside information on if they ever plan to recall/hire/expand?
You're guna bee at Pac or Mouks for some time my man.
Hear moku little is quietly on sale cheap!!! PW offers $39 tickets molokai and $500 to kalapapa with a fed grant just to pee on the state. NICE
My friends in there say that they might be hiring soon, but not to hold your breath. Currently all furloughs from inside guys tell me is being called back or in the process. They are just waiting to see if they will get another plane. If so they will definitely need pilots. But from what they tell me about the owners and not being too keen on putting money into the company, it might not happen.
does anyone here know why aloha isalnd air got rid of the Q400's ?...I would think they would make a great inter-island airplane = compete smartly against the 717's at a lower cost, with similar block times and passenger comfort...rumor had it they were also going to expand in the mainland at one time....
HA would never allow that type of competition for inter-island travel...
WRT the initial post in this thread, Island Air sent out an e-mail this past June 16:

"Island Air is updating our Pilot Pool. Please advise if you are interested in remaining in the pool and if you would be available if offered a position."

I assume this e-mail was in response to projected hiring by HAL.

Quote: does anyone here know why aloha isalnd air got rid of the Q400's ?...I would think they would make a great inter-island airplane = compete smartly against the 717's at a lower cost, with similar block times and passenger comfort...rumor had it they were also going to expand in the mainland at one time....
It's a long story, but the short version is that a 4th competitor (Mesa/Go!) entered the market and created a strain on all airlines competing. Anyone from here knows that the market is not setup for more than 3 competitors and eventually someone will be the odd man out (AQ in this case). In an effort to be fiscally responsible, Island Air contracted, like many airlines, and as a result relinquished the Q400, unfortunately. Consider that although props are more efficient, the paying public feel "safer" stepping on a jet. I don't agree with it but perception becomes reality.