Best PPL study book

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
For an independent study, I'd like some opinions on the best book that I should purchase for my PPL. The FBO recommends William Kershner's book, however, I did a search on Amazon, and by reading some forums I hear that Jeppesen Sanderson's book would work the best. I am currently reading Rod Machado's book, but I've been reading that it is a great reference tool, but it won't help me pass the test (I really enjoy the book).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...lance&n=283155

I have this one. I'll bet it will help you.
Get the Gleim for your written, and a copy of the PTS, FAR/AIM, and the blue Oral Checkride Guide for your practical.
I have the one CRJ pointed out. Good stuff I'd recommend it as well as the blue book.
Down at the University of Illinois we use Rod Machado's Private Handbook. I loved it because along with the AIM/FAR's and the book CRJ pointed out, it all came together very easily. Rod is a flight instructor and wrote the book with the student in mind so it is laid out in an easy to read and understand fashion.

http://www.rodmachado.com/Product/Books/books.htm

Cheers,
Illini
Both Cessna and Jeppesen make good books. They include workbooks, so they can qualify as a "home study course", which can exempt you from the ground school requirement if you (and your cfi) are comfortable with just book learning.

The cessna one is nice if you're training in one obviously.
Thanks for the many opinions. Looks like all of the above books are pretty darn good. I am going to have a chat with my "future instructor" this week. I will talk to him and see what works the best for my situation. Although I don't mind having 2 different books to study, considering that I won't be starting my acual training till about May!
Good luck to ya!
Quote: Thanks for the many opinions. Looks like all of the above books are pretty darn good. I am going to have a chat with my "future instructor" this week. I will talk to him and see what works the best for my situation. Although I don't mind having 2 different books to study, considering that I won't be starting my acual training till about May!
It's always a good idea to have more then 1 book when you are training for a new license, especially one very important like your PPL. When I did my PPL training I had atleast 3 books. Two really good books to read are Airplane Flying Handbook, and Aviation Weather Services.

Good Luck on your training when it starts.
Thanks I will keep posted on the updates. I am pretty excited and looking forward to it.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to