English proficiency if English is first lang.

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I'm looking at an overseas job that requires an English proficiency of at least 5 and I live in the U.S. I read somewhere that getting an FAA cert. certifies you as level 4 English... How do you go about getting a 5?? Thanks
If you are an English as a first language speaker you'll be a six. I have Level 6 on my Chinese licence and it transfered no problem to my Kiwi ticket. A flying scholl in your area that deals with foreign students would perhaps be the place to take the test; yes, you have to prove it.

It may sound ridiculous but the fact is that many carriers have been getting away with flying out of their home country with pilots who simply do not speak English. They learn what they think is all they will need verbatim, then end up on a taxiway in Toronto ticking off controlers.

And yea, get level six (should just be a formality). My understanding is that ICAO countries will require one level six on the flight deck, hence the all of the sudden lowering of requirements with Air China.
Know of a good place to go in Southeast MA?
I have a Level 4 on my UAE certificate and I never took any kind of language test.
Quote: I'm looking at an overseas job that requires an English proficiency of at least 5 and I live in the U.S. I read somewhere that getting an FAA cert. certifies you as level 4 English... How do you go about getting a 5?? Thanks
Αre you sure about that??
Quote: Αre you sure about that??
Page two, first paragraph

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviat.../inFO08012.pdf
OK thanks, I am flying overseas with a level 4 even though English is my first language.
A lot of local flight schools should be able to get you the level 5 you are asking for,.
Quote: I'm looking at an overseas job that requires an English proficiency of at least 5 and I live in the U.S. I read somewhere that getting an FAA cert. certifies you as level 4 English... How do you go about getting a 5?? Thanks
If you are talking about ICAO-proficiency then you will have to take a test...It will mostly consist of radio phraseology and reading / hearing /
understanding the English language...

Fluent English does help, but it does not mean you will get a 6......
I have spoken English (as a primary language) for over 20 years..
And only made a 5 on that ICAO-test..

Guess didn't study enough..

Fly safe...
Some of our guy's took the test at a Malaysian school. First go you get a five, which meens of course that you have to take it again. No sense giving you a six the first time as they can only scam you once for the test fee and that just wouldn't be normal in our business would it.

As per usual, our governing bodies reckon we're a nice endless pit of cash.
Quote: If you are talking about ICAO-proficiency then you will have to take a test...It will mostly consist of radio phraseology and reading / hearing /
understanding the English language...

Fluent English does help, but it does not mean you will get a 6......
I have spoken English (as a primary language) for over 20 years..
And only made a 5 on that ICAO-test..

Guess didn't study enough..

Fly safe...

The only language I speak is english.

All schools from kindergarten up to, and inclusive of, college have been english only.

I got a five on the ICAO test. Mine was one of those PC based deals where they record both the video and audio to be graded remotely.

Such a freakin' scam. Then again, it could've been my constant eye-rolls and sighing from aggravation that made the person grading the test give me a 5.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to