General McChrystal named to JetBlue BOD

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Gen McChrystal is a senior leader and an expert in counterinsurgency strategy...I just wonder how that translates into running an airline.

JetBlue Airways Names General Stanley McChrystal to its Board of Directors -- NEW YORK, Nov. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

It will be interesting to watch if his addition causes any dramatic shifts in the company.
Not sure what kind of shifts you are talking about. He's just a big name out there, and he knows how to manage people, ergo he's "qualified" to be on the BOD. Good for him. He gets fired by The One, and gets a good gig in the private sector.
I don't think being on a BOD really translates to running anything. I think it's an excuse to collect a couple hundred grand a year for flying into town four times a year and sitting around a table saying, "Hurumph! Harumph!" while doing nothing.

(I did't get a harumph out of that guy...)
A Board Member is directly involved in the approval/disapproval process of potential mergers or buyouts. They also set the long term direction of the company, which is what I was thinking about.

JetBlue's annual reports list BOD responsibilities:

JetBlue Airways - Annual Reports

Board of Directors and Committees of the Board

The business of JetBlue is managed under the direction of our Board of Directors. It has responsibility for establishing broad corporate policies, counseling and providing direction to our management in the long-term interests of the Company, our stockholders, and for our overall performance. It is not, however, involved in our operating details on a day-to-day basis. The Board is kept advised of our business through regular reports and analyses and discussions with our Chief Executive Officer and other officers.

They also manage the company's risk:

Board Oversight of Risk.

Our Board of Directors oversees the management of risks inherent in the operation of the Company’s businesses and the implementation of its strategic plan. The Board of Directors performs this oversight role by using several different levels of review. In connection with its reviews of the operations of the Company’s business and corporate functions, the Board addresses the primary risks associated with those units and functions. In addition, the Board reviews the risks associated with the Company’s strategic plan at an annual strategic planning session and periodically throughout the year as part of its consideration of the strategic direction of the Company. Each of the Board’s Committees also oversees the management of Company risks that fall within the Committee’s areas of responsibility. In performing this function, each Committee has full access to management, as well as the ability to engage advisors.

Their compensation is between $82K to $104K based on the 2010 Annual Meeting of Stockholders.
And be sure to pick up his new book "From FOD to BOD In Six Short Months"
Quote: And be sure to pick up his new book "From FOD to BOD In Six Short Months"
Now that's funny!
I wonder if Rolling Stone Magazine will try to get another interview with him.
He's probably got the waterboard set up for anyone who signs an ALPA card.
Quote: He's probably got the waterboard set up for anyone who signs an ALPA card.

NOW that is funny sh!t.
He's going to have to get past that whole "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" thing, BELIEVE ME when I say that it DOES NOT exist at B6. That's all they do is tell you!
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to