Challenging airport...Do not try to land here

Subscribe
I was flying in the San Juan Islands north of Seattle and saw this fun looking runway carved nicely into the side of a mountain. It isn't listed on the Seattle Sectional. It was very tempting to land there but thought it was odd it wasn't on the chart or in the Airport Facility Directory. Anyhow here's what I found out about it.....DO NOT LAND THERE!!!! You'll get a call from the Fed's if you do.

Fly safe
Scott
Videos | Airplane, Cockpit and Airliner videos
Quote: I was flying in the San Juan Islands north of Seattle and saw this fun looking runway carved nicely into the side of a mountain. It isn't listed on the Seattle Sectional. It was very tempting to land there but thought it was odd it wasn't on the chart or in the Airport Facility Directory. Anyhow here's what I found out about it.....DO NOT LAND THERE!!!! You'll get a call from the Fed's if you do.

Fly safe
Scott
Videos | Airplane, Cockpit and Airliner videos
There is some information about it on Lost Airports of Washington - Panel 03 (It's the red X below the word Whidbey Island Class C)

I'm sure if you post at Pacific Northwest Flying - Index you might be able to find more information.
Cool find on the video! That airport looks like it would be a lot of fun it it were still open. The many improper uses of the words "their/they're/there" made it hard for me to watch though.
Interesting website. I did some exploring of some of the other areas and there are a lot of old lost airports. It's a shame that there have been so many airports abandoned but quite interesting to see what WA used to offer to the aviation world. I wish every state had one of those sites. Lot's of good historical data.
There was a piece on Discovery Wings featuring USFS airports in Idaho. Most of the grass strips are challenging to say the least, the flight instructor featured strongly recommended flying with her first. Good site with abandoned airports:Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
Tortue, thanks for the heads up on those two sites.

Diver, Ya I pretty much butchered the queens engish on that production. Sorry about that! I must say no to editing whilst being jetlagged.

mtbthis, I'm collecting video from around the world on challenging airports. I'm also putting an interactive map on the site so you can click by region to see the different airports. The other idea being pilots being able to check out a video of an airport before they fly there, kind of a briefing safety thing.

clipperskipper. I always wandered what happened to the "pig farm" cedar grove airpark in Washington State, now I know. Thanks for letting me know about the site.

Ok better stop typing as I'm pretty lagged.
Scott