Charter Part 121 pax charter airlines

Omni Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Front seat window washer

Originally Posted by FL450 View Post
And you're at FDX as a 767 FO in HKG... Glad we all know how to research but I'm in no way a gate keeper, just outspoken on BS. Regardless, we can all grab pizza sometime if our positions bother you and discuss it while drinking some cold ones.
Pay no attention to to him FL450 he just can't help himself sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. He was a pain in the ... When he was here and I am sure he is at his new place as well.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2013

I left Omni after the 2013 Furlough. Here are a few things that I know about that place.
1) The new CP is a DB, IMO and that of many current employees, he does not have the people skills to manage the pilot group properly.
2) TW the contract admin, well she is a royal...! She pretty much runs the show, for some reason the office tip toes around her. Her only answer will be NO
3) PAY SUCKS, trust me, stay at your regional. Last I heard they were changing the way they pay overtime, and they started shafting the pilots on pay.
4) DP the head of travel doesn't care about you or well being. If it saves her a dime to travel you someplace over 22 hours not including GW, she gets HARD
5) The Union is trying its best to make the place better but the EXCO just isn't into it.
6) Hotels are not even sub par! YOU WILL STAY IN HOTELS WITHOUT A/C.
7) training pay... HA! now that's a joke!!!!
8) 401k... 500 max a year match. That's says more than enough.
9) training, if they don't like you, you will not upgrade!
10) Schedules 18 days with possible 40 days and a 90 day TDY which they make you check out of a hotel! CRAP
11) The IAD flying.... well that's a entirely different ballgame.
12) Death in the family while traveling... You are on your own to get home! THIS IS A COMMON PRACTICE.
13) FMLA again, you are on your own to get home.

I have many friends, great guys and gals that still work there... they are trying hard to get out!

They know that when the rats are running its time to get out!

*** To the pro Omni guys... you know you can't refute any of that!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Fly it like you stole it!

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by obob866 View Post
Pay no attention to to him FL450 he just can't help himself sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. He was a pain in the ... When he was here and I am sure he is at his new place as well.
Obob866, you are truly a tool! Almost every time I've been around you; you where either drunk or drinking. Combine that with your arrogance; you are just an accident looking for a place to happen! You are what's wrong with the Omni pilot group. Complaining about how you are treated and the how the company violates the CBA. Griping about the union not doing anything but you won't lift a finger to help the union or your fellow pilots make Omni a better place......

You Sir are pathetic excuse for a pilot!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by BoeingBrat View Post
I left Omni after the 2013 Furlough. Here are a few things that I know about that place.

So you admit your info is 3 years out of date

1) The new CP is a DB, IMO and that of many current employees, he does not have the people skills to manage the pilot group properly.

My experience has been that he's one of the few CPs who actually tries to be a pilot advocate as long as you're straight with him.

4) DP the head of travel doesn't care about you or well being. If it saves her a dime to travel you someplace over 22 hours not including GW, she gets HARD

Considering her mandate is to minimize travel expenses, that would be her job. But to say they don't care about your well being is unequivocally false.

5) The Union is trying its best to make the place better but the EXCO just isn't into it.

This statement is so illogical it borders on moronic.

6) Hotels are not even sub par! YOU WILL STAY IN HOTELS WITHOUT A/C.

Again, untrue in my experience. Perhaps in the hinterland of Central SW Asia, but even in Africa, the hotel was more than acceptable.

9) training, if they don't like you, you will not upgrade!

Ever consider it may have been your ability, not your personality? Omni can't afford to have weak pilots in the left seat considering the flying they do.

10) Schedules 18 days with possible 40 days and a 90 day TDY which they make you check out of a hotel! CRAP

90 day TDY is still in the contract but not currently in use. And 36 day blocks are a function of how YOU bid your schedule.

I have many friends, great guys and gals that still work there... they are trying hard to get out!

They know that when the rats are running its time to get out!

*** To the pro Omni guys... you know you can't refute any of that!
See my comments above. As far as "rats" running: For a young guy, especially with the majors hiring, there are more desirable places to work. With respect to the regionals, Omni is a big step up with regard to QoL.

As an aside, it probably isn't good to post when you've obviously had too much to drink.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Part 121, 135 & Military background

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
Was told May 2.

Have to wonder how man washed and how many resigned.
Some truths about the recent hiring/training.
I was in the Feb 8th class.
The Jan class had 8 people in it, of that one person passed on 767 and one on the 777.
This is not a good number but to be fair some of the people had problems related to things other than training or aviation skills.
My class (Feb) had 8 people. The average flight time was over 6,000 for the class. 5 had regional experience with times ranging from 4,000 hours to 15,000 hours (I was the oldest and the high time guy) we had one corporate guy, one 747 guy and one bush pilot.
On the 767 side 4 passed the program, 2 went home. So if you look at the last two classes, that is a pretty bad pass rate. I can not speak for the last class that had the high drop rate.... wasn't there, didn't see it abd I hate, HATE rumors. But, I can tell you the experience of my class.
The two that failed out; 1, the bush pilot from alaska probably should not have been hired in the first place. I drove him to the airport after his interview and he told me they had reservations about his experience (all props no fms) + he had an "Alaskan personality" a bit..... quirky. This guy not making it through is not a reflection on the company. The other guy who busted out had successfully passed newhire training at 2 regionals with quality training programs, but could not make it through Omni.
To be fair, he showed up without completing the required home study they issue you prior to class. The company makes Iit clear that this needs to be done prior to arrival. He chose to work right up until the last minute at another carrier. So while classmates were studying, moving forward each night, he was trying to get caught up on CBTs. Additionally, he definitely had a California work ethic and didn't seem to grasp that this was not going to be a well layed out experience and a great deal of SELF GUIDED STUDY was going tp be required.
Here in lies the problem. For years, Omni was competing with other charter carriers who went out of business. Omni benefited from years of hiring guys with Boeing experience. The program was adequate for them.
If you have never had the pleasure of learning from Boeing manuals, you're in for a shock. You want look up a profile? Good luck! Part of it is in the QRH, another in the FCOM, then grab another piece from FCTM, swing pass the GOM and back to the QRH and voila! Ask me how many nights after class it took to figure out that chaos! Infact, to call it chaos is an insult to some of the great goat ropes of all time.

I am a new hire, so I will be careful with my words + no employee should dog their employer on a public forum.
I heard 1,000 times "we don't spoon feed" and "it's not for everyone". I humbly think these two attitudes need to change. One man's spoon feeding is anothers Standardization program.
Let me be clear, everyone I've met at Omni has been a really good guy. Some of the instructors were horrible teachers but really good dudes who truly cared and made themselves available 24/7. Two of my instructors were 2 of the best I've ever had (thanks Joel and Frank).
As for what was "wrong" with training, that is not for discussion on a public forum, at least not by a newhire who is thankful to have a job. The Dir of Trng is a super guy and is doing his best to query each class member about their experience and trying to improve where they can.
Every student was given extra periods (except my sim partner and I, we were first time goes at each phase) and they are truly invested in your success.

If you are a self starter and good at digging in manuals and can keep on track with little to no guidance, you can pass the program.

As for the March class, at last report they had 10 with one drop so far.

This is a fair minded, non bomb throwing report and I hope it helps those who are considering a position here.

Stick

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't throw out a thanks to Fletch who was on the interview board and made himself available 24/7 and mentored me along thr way.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Just Plane Stupid

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Captain

The key word to your success is "Mentored". Today most of the pilots you fly with think they can do a better job than the guys/gals in the left seat, only to wonder why or blame the program or instructors for their unsuccessful upgrade. Your frustration now begins. Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: CRJ700

Originally Posted by HeavyDriver View Post
The key word to your success is "Mentored". Today most of the pilots you fly with think they can do a better job than the guys/gals in the left seat.
I'm sure Omni doesn't have low experience in the right seat, but try sitting next to a 1500 hour CFI know it all for 6 legs.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: Captain

Try loading them up with work to do. They shut up quick.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:19 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Stickwiggler,
Thanks for taking the time to write your post. Excellent tutorial and nice job laying out the facts. Great job!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Front seat window washer

Originally Posted by brn2fly1 View Post
Obob866, you are truly a tool! Almost every time I've been around you; you where either drunk or drinking. Combine that with your arrogance; you are just an accident looking for a place to happen! You are what's wrong with the Omni pilot group. Complaining about how you are treated and the how the company violates the CBA. Griping about the union not doing anything but you won't lift a finger to help the union or your fellow pilots make Omni a better place......

You Sir are pathetic excuse for a pilot!
Again you are wrong, which you were so many times ( at least when your mouth was yapping which was most of the time ). Are you confusing me with TW or TH or maybe some of the other drunks there at Omni.
Keep pushing your purple boxes around and keep your yapping to a minimum and maybe you will make a friend.