Resume Question

Subscribe
I am attending the WIA conference coming up this week. In preparation I am updating my resume. In order to stand out I was thinking about adding either a watermark or a header with my targeted company's name.
Does this seem like a good idea, or will it make me stand out in a bad way?
Thanks!
Quote: I am attending the WIA conference coming up this week. In preparation I am updating my resume. In order to stand out I was thinking about adding either a watermark or a header with my targeted company's name.
Thanks!
Seems like you're trying to represent, without actually being on the team if you ask me. You can't go wrong with the professional standard. People that try to stray from that or stand out, are always the ones that seem to make the great stories.
Quote: I am attending the WIA conference coming up this week. In preparation I am updating my resume. In order to stand out I was thinking about adding either a watermark or a header with my targeted company's name.
Thanks!
No......that doesn't sound like a good idea.
It will be interesting to see if Lori pipes up, but all of the advice and classes / presentations that I had regarding resume prep would not have recommended such action.

USMCFLYR
In aviation the only good way to stand out is to know someone, or have a space shuttle type rating. Any other standing out is generally not good (unless you are applying for a job as Tommy Lee's helo pilot or something like that).
It all depends on the person who actually receives it - what mood they're in, how they might see it (cheesy or not). My advice is to play it conservative - this is a conservative industry. The watermark may be completely distracting when they are actually trying to read the content. It's your experience that will make you stand out. They will review your content and provide feedback on how to be more competitive for their particular airline.
It's best to strive to "connect" with the person reading your resume - be natural and actually TALK to them. Ask what you need to do to be competitive (even if you already are) and glean their advice.

Good luck and have fun!

Lori
Thanks for the feedback!
Might look into having someone who is familiar with pilot hiring (and resumes) work up your resume. I had a girl at 'Red Ink' ( Home ) rework mine and I was pretty happy with the result.

It's surprising how someone who is skilled with presentation can make a rather convoluted resume flow nicely and stand out from the pile. (Not just because Pilots like us don't spell good and stuff.)