Flying to NRT? Read this first.

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: 50 hz and 60 hz? Why different power grids?
Post WW-II, the european allies got the contract for the new power grid in western Japan, the US got the contract for the east side.

Europe = 50Hz, US = 60 Hz.

Re. the radiation situation in Japan, I got a formal, detailed brief from the navy a few days ago. As of now, the problem is contained and there is no further potential for massive, serious contamination.

This is much worse than TMI, but not even in the same league as chernobyl...entirely different reactor physics situations. The aviation analogy: The japan accident is a like shutting a turbofan down without an adequate cooldown and getting some core-lock or blade warping. Chernobyl was a complete uncontained hot section failure...which occurred at 1000% N2. The chernobyl core power peaked at 30 BILLION watts.
Quote: Post WW-II, the european allies got the contract for the new power grid in western Japan, the US got the contract for the east side.

Europe = 50Hz, US = 60 Hz.

Re. the radiation situation in Japan, I got a formal, detailed brief from the navy a few days ago. As of now, the problem is contained and there is no further potential for massive, serious contamination.

This is much worse than TMI, but not even in the same league as chernobyl...entirely different reactor physics situations. The aviation analogy: The japan accident is a like shutting a turbofan down without an adequate cooldown and getting some core-lock or blade warping. Chernobyl was a complete uncontained hot section failure...which occurred at 1000% N2. The chernobyl core power peaked at 30 BILLION watts.
Good points. I have a friend deeply involved in resolving the mess. They will be killing the reactors soon. No radiation issues for crews to be concerned about and buying and wearing dosiometers is a waste of time and money.
Sendai airport which has been closed except for emergency aid flights will re open for regular flights on April 13th. Both ANA and JAL have announced that they will start doing regular passenger flights into Sendai
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to