FedEx in Paris Disrupted as Workers Walk Out

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
As we continue to discuss current/future FDAs, it may be interesting to watch (and learn) how this all plays out.

FedEx in Paris Disrupted as Workers Walk Out - Bloomberg

FedEx in Paris Disrupted as Workers Walk Out

By Mary Jane Credeur - May 13, 2011 3:42 PM

FedEx Corp. (FDX) canceled several flights and delayed deliveries of thousands of packages because hourly unionized employees in Paris have been walking off the job in a labor dispute.

“A fluctuating number of our hub employees have staged work disruptions at our hub in Paris,” Maury Lane, a spokesman for Memphis, Tennessee-based FedEx, said today.

Fewer than five flights were scrubbed and “thousands” of parcels were slowed because of the walkout, which began May 11, Lane said. FedEx, the operator of the world’s largest cargo airline, has 1,800 employees at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, he said, declining to say how many stopped working.

FedEx’s money-back guarantee for late deliveries remains in place for the affected packages, and the company is tweaking flight and delivery plans to blunt the effect of the walkouts, Lane said.

The Paris workers are represented by several unions, and bargaining occurs each May.

“We continue to negotiate and will hopefully resolve the situation as soon as possible,” Lane said. Most of FedEx’s U.S. employees aren’t represented by unions.

Agence France-Presse reported the walkouts earlier.
The French are always striking over something or another. I had a trip that deadheaded into CDG (on Continental) and then went on to BSL on an Air France jet. After landing at CDG, we parked at a hardstand and had to wait over two hours before the ground guys would bring a set of stairs up to the jet. Needless to say, I missed my connection, and all because the French ground guys were doing their weekly "work stoppage." It's always a pleasure to fly into France, I just wish the same could be said about the French.
Now THAT'S a UNION!!! I'd have no problem wearing one of of their lanyards!!!
Quote: Now THAT'S a UNION!!! I'd have no problem wearing one of of their lanyards!!!
Bingo. Would be nice if pilots would show the same resolve when/if the time comes.

And Americans wonder why the French work week is 35 hours. And why they have far more vacation days per year than the their typical American counterpart. And why the company was forcing pilots to sign a document saying we would be subject to American rather than French labor laws back when Paris was a proposed base....

Vive La France on this one.
Quote: Bingo. Would be nice if pilots would show the same resolve when/if the time comes.

And Americans wonder why the French work week is 35 hours. And why they have far more vacation days per year than the their typical American counterpart. And why the company was forcing pilots to sign a document saying we would be subject to American rather than French labor laws back when Paris was a proposed base....

Vive La France on this one.
Or why a beer costs 9 euros.
Quote: Or why a beer costs 9 euros.
And gas is equivalent to $7 per gallon.
Tell you what - y'all ease on down to the Walmart and get ya some cheap gas and even cheaper beer. Make it the one in Horn Lake, about 9pm on a Sunday night.

Wander the aisles with all the pretty people and enjoy how much cheaper it is than wandering the Latin Quarter or the banks of the Seine.....
That's weird, I thought you were a proponent of Southhaven Ms.
Quote: Or why a beer costs 9 euros.
9 Euros? Big deal!! A beer in Las Vegas usually costs me about $250.

Not sure you can believe everything you read on these internets, but...

Affordable Beer
Quote: UAL, AMR, CAL, DAL - the only one Legacy carrier that ever established a European domicile was PanAm, right?
Actually, UAL had an operation in London with the 727. I know it was going on in the early 90's and may have been around as early as the late 80's.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to