Pinnacle Makes Emergency Landing in BPT

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hey all,

Anyone know the details of the Pinnacle flight from HOU-ATL (CRJ-900) that made an emergency landing in Beaumont ? Happened today around noon time. My two sisters , brother in laws and nephews were on the flight. They said upon climb out plane lost pressurization and had smoke reported? They made an emergency landing in BPT instead of coming back to HOU or IAH which makes me think something was of very great concern. Obviously smoke is a reason to put an aircraft on the ground but was curious if any Pinnacle employees had anymore insight onto the exact cause. The pilot told them it was simply in the best interest to land in BPT with no details.

Thanks!
First I Am hearing of this ......

To be continued
I'm hearing a left bleed caution message and bleed valve auto closed. suspect cabin crew saw fog.
Depress + Smoke probably = condensation fog. Especially since they had just departed with a cabin full of houston humidity...

BTDT
Quote: Depress + Smoke probably = condensation fog. Especially since they had just departed with a cabin full of houston humidity...

BTDT
If you were the captain- do you make sure it smells like smoke before you divert?
Quote: If you were the captain- do you make sure it smells like smoke before you divert?
Depends, if the FA reported smoke I would generally just treat it like a fire and divert. Can't get in trouble that way.

However, if I had something else going on or other risk factors (marginal wx at divert field, etc) which might make the divert more risky I might take the time to find out if it's really smoke or not (in a situation like this where you have reason to believe it's condensation).
It all depends. You have to watch out for the new FAs. One came up to the flight deck and was shocked to see "all that smoke." It was a humid hot day, and we explained what it was. She said no way, I've never seen that! She learned something.

Another time, departing a hot/humid day, just airborne, a new FA reported smoke. Alarmed, we gathered for more info, while getting ready to declare emerg/QRH/land. When asked for the source, if she could see it, she said was the gaspers at the top and the floor (lining) bottom where the air comes out from the air conditioning system. We asked for the color of it, she said it was clear/white. Any smell? No. We asked she go and touch a few gaspers and see what she feels. She reported all of them had small water droplets, like mildew.

We concluded it was condensation fog, continued flight, uneventful.

Sometimes, you have to watch out for newbies. I would have hated to do an emergency landing for a condensation "smoke."
I had a similar situation with an FA reporting smoke in DFW, when I asked her how it smelled she said "like steam." To this day, I still can't figure out what that means!

It turned out to be a non-event.
Shyguy/tmtbiker -

Sounds like a FA training issue. What type of aircraft were these on?
I'm assuming there was only one FA or else the more *experienced* FA would have interceded and provided her with guidance.

USMCFLYR
CRJ-200, only one FA.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to