Need a substance abuse evaluation

Subscribe
Three and a half years ago I attended a company program for alcohol abuse. Two years later with no progress in returning to work, I had finally hit the wall and decided to resign my position with the company in order to preserve my health. Three months ago I decided to go for my first class medical after three and a half years of sobriety.

The latest letter I received from the FAA states that I need an evaluation from a substance abuse Psychiatrist in addition to a cognitive and mental health battery evaluation from a psychologist. Of course I have thirty days to comply, nothing like finding these professionals with limited time. It isn't about the money, (lost the house, so hey I have some funds left) I'm just trying to make sure that I can go to a substance abuse psychiatrist, or do I need a FAA approved psychiatrist?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would like to fly again not sure if I want to do it professionally, I just want to go back up and enjoy the sky with a different set of eyes. After twenty five years of flying its tough to simply walk away. I'm a full time student now working a masters in social work, so I'm on a different road. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Sorry, no suggestions, but good luck with your quest. Sounds like you've made some good decisions along the way.
Contact these guys. They have helped many pilots, and don't charge for it.

HIMS - A Substance Abuse Treatment Program For Commercial Pilots
find a HIMS/AME in your area. He will be able to guide you thru the process . . . it could be as quick as 3 months but more likely 6, assuming your sobriety is as u say. Even though you are sober, you will have to associate with AA etc and will be on a SI for a while.
Quote: find a HIMS/AME in your area. He will be able to guide you thru the process . . . it could be as quick as 3 months but more likely 6, assuming your sobriety is as u say. Even though you are sober, you will have to associate with AA etc and will be on a SI for a while.
^^^^. Yeah, what he said.

You're not alone.

atp
Quote: Of course I have thirty days to comply, nothing like finding these professionals with limited time. It isn't about the money, (lost the house, so hey I have some funds left) I'm just trying to make sure that I can go to a substance abuse psychiatrist, or do I need a FAA approved psychiatrist?
I think if they want you to go to a certain psychiatrist and psychologist, they would explicity say so. So any licensed psychi/psycho will probably do.

I would call, call, call around everywhere, as far as you're willing to drive, to get in for the appointments. And if you can't get it done in 30 days, seems to me an extension would be a reasonable and common request.

Call the FAA department that sent the letter with your issues. I think that is where you will get the best information. Breathe easy. As someone mentioned, you're not alone in this. It's all manageable but gonna take some patience and persistence. Good luck.
Quote: Does anyone have any experience with this?

Boy, do I ever. If you're able to PM me, (send me a personal msg); do so. I'll be happy to discuss with you what issues I faced and what was & is required of me by the Medical Appeals Office of the FAA.

Quote: I think if they want you to go to a certain psychiatrist and psychologist, they would explicity say so.

Call the FAA department that sent the letter with your issues. I think that is where you will get the best information. Breathe easy. As someone mentioned, you're not alone in this. It's all manageable but gonna take some patience and persistence. Good luck.

Good advice....and if I may add one thing and omma shot straight from the hip, be honest, and not sugar coat it for you; the FAA will, at some point in time, require a HIMS psychiatric and neuro-psychological evaluation. Point; blank; period.

IMHO, if you go ahead and do the HIMS eval, you will save yourself some time, some heartache, some cash, some disappoinment and plenty of frustation!

I'm speaking from experience. PM me.

atp