Advice regarding career path to Regional

Subscribe
Hi,

I've been out of flying for about 10 years. I have 1030 hours with about 400 multi, mostly in the C310. I am single/multi commercial, instrument rated and I've held the CFI amd MEI in the past. I'm also 40 years old and interested in exploring feasibility of going to work with a regional as a career change. I see the 1500 hour part 121 rule approaching so I'm aware I need to get the ball rolling, if possible. I'm not current, I know that I need a new medical, BFR and instrument competency check.

I'm looking for advice on what I need to do to make myself marketable again to the regionals (training, recent experience, etc.). Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.
Update the CFI, and start flying and applying.
I've worked with two guys in their 40s recently who had less time than you and took instructing jobs to build some recent time/experience. They were hired by the regionals within a few months. One of them told me that he's seeing a lot of older pilots hired by regionals because they know you'll probably stay with the company until retirement.
Quote: Hi,

I've been out of flying for about 10 years. I have 1030 hours with about 400 multi, mostly in the C310. I am single/multi commercial, instrument rated and I've held the CFI amd MEI in the past. I'm also 40 years old and interested in exploring feasibility of going to work with a regional as a career change. I see the 1500 hour part 121 rule approaching so I'm aware I need to get the ball rolling, if possible. I'm not current, I know that I need a new medical, BFR and instrument competency check.

I'm looking for advice on what I need to do to make myself marketable again to the regionals (training, recent experience, etc.). Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.
Your story is very similar to mine. I was in the same boat as you, just a little less total & multi times. I started flying again May this year.

The 1st link is the thread that I posted back in April 2011 & got a lot of good responses, which encouraged me to get started again.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hi...2-yrs-gap.html

I just recently went to the LAX job Fair on 09/24/11 & I posted again my view of the JOB fair.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hi...9-24-11-a.html

So, these are the results of my research so far, hopefully it may help you a little bit...........
If all of your time is military (ie turbine) you can also apply to many major airlines, but not SWA/UPS/FDX and maybe a couple others due to their 1000 TPIC requirement.

Most airlines, including regionals want some recency in addition to being legally current. This can mean anywhere from 50-200 hours in the last year.
Quote: I've worked with two guys in their 40s recently who had less time than you and took instructing jobs to build some recent time/experience. They were hired by the regionals within a few months. One of them told me that he's seeing a lot of older pilots hired by regionals because they know you'll probably stay with the company until retirement.

Good to know & reassuring!

atp