Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Climategate--The Final Chapter >

Climategate--The Final Chapter

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Climategate--The Final Chapter

Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Only 97% of climatologists think humans are causing global warming and everybody knows NASA is a bunch of uneducated hippies. Besides, anything that would cause me to questions my firmly held assumptions or alter my behavior, by definition cannot exist. Global warming is another myth cooked up by Spendocrats to keep the boot of the government on the necks of hard-working Americans, just like so-called honey-mustard. The free market always has and always will fix everyone's problems. I still spray my yard with DDT and I haven't seen a bug (or a bird) in decades! I don't care what so-called scientific data says. I knew global warming was a scam the minute I heard about it -- there was ice on my grass when I woke this morning! Where's your global warming now? I'm 100% convinced that I'm 100% correct and anyone who disagrees with me is either a moron or a crook. Nothing anyone says will pierce my veil of self-assurance.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 AM
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by todd1200 View Post
Only 97% of climatologists think humans are causing global warming and everybody knows NASA is a bunch of uneducated hippies. Besides, anything that would cause me to questions my firmly held assumptions or alter my behavior, by definition cannot exist. Global warming is another myth cooked up by Spendocrats to keep the boot of the government on the necks of hard-working Americans, just like so-called honey-mustard. The free market always has and always will fix everyone's problems. I still spray my yard with DDT and I haven't seen a bug (or a bird) in decades! I don't care what so-called scientific data says. I knew global warming was a scam the minute I heard about it -- there was ice on my grass when I woke this morning! Where's your global warming now? I'm 100% convinced that I'm 100% correct and anyone who disagrees with me is either a moron or a crook. Nothing anyone says will pierce my veil of self-assurance.
Apparently some of us have not read the emails, that would make them email deniers. Bitter clingers of hockey stick graphs and dreams of world domination.

There is nothing quite as funny as someone pointing out an error in others while they are making the same error.

Crazy as it may seem, some of us are not ready to give up control of the Earth for something that is easily fixed by a quarter degree adjustment of our climate control.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by todd1200 View Post
Well if you could show me one of your models that will accurately predict the weather next month maybe I could believe one of your models that has, for the last 40 years, failed to predict the weather 10 years out.

Give up on your DDT argument, that has proven to be a genocidal joke played by your fellow lefties on th 3rd world.

How many "climatologist" were there 30 years ago? Do you think the explosive growth in the career field would be the same if they had to turn a profit instead of sucking at the government teat?

97% of the climatologists think humans are the cause of global warming. 100% of the Mrs. Johnson Kindergarten class thinks the sun is at least partially responsible. Who is more likely correct?

Last edited by FDXLAG; 12-04-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by Zoot Suit View Post
The earth has been here for billions of years. In that time, temps have risen, temps have fallen. Water levels have risen, water levels have fallen. Deserts are now oceans, oceans are now deserts. Continents have moved thousands of miles. The ice age came and went. ALL BEFORE MAN WAS HERE.

Now you want to tell me that man has managed to throw our habitat off kilter in just 100 years of industrialization?????

And on top of that you want to tell me the way to fix it is to tax it??? The only thing that accomplishes is making billions for people who are already rich, while causing more financial hardships on the working class. What complete utter nonsense!!!!!
n2264j,

I see how you conveniently glossed over this comment and didn't respond. Is it because you don't have a logical argument and are hoping we didn't notice? I also find it interesting that you are the only person in this debate that holds your views, but I guess the only logical reason for this is that you are the only intelligent one of the bunch and everyone else hur is just a bunc o igits.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Retired

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: whale wrangler
Default Unfortunate really

From my experiences in life if you continually push out falsehoods through propaganda then after awhile a certain segment of the population will stop thinking for themselves and start to beleive in it .

Ally
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

Originally Posted by DYNASTY HVY View Post
From my experiences in life if you continually push out falsehoods through propaganda then after awhile a certain segment of the population will stop thinking for themselves and start to beleive in it .

Ally
+1. You just described Fox News. Too funny!!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
+1. You just described Fox News. Too funny!!
And ABC,NBC,BBC,CNN,MSNBC. What is funny is that it describes all of them. I don't fault them for it, it is after all their business.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Joseph Goebbels

Even this guy would let the truth out once in a while.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: AT802

"For every one degree C increase in average global temperature rise, we will see a
10% decrease in crop yields. That's huge. "

Is the world warming? I don't know and there is nothing I can do if it is, but I can tell you from personal experience that crop yields are going up, and have been for the last 30 years that I've been involved in agriculture. So if your claiming a warmer earth is causing a decrease in crop yield I have to throw the BS flag on that play.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
And ABC,NBC,BBC,CNN,MSNBC. What is funny is that it describes all of them. I don't fault them for it, it is after all their business.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
Joseph Goebbels

Even this guy would let the truth out once in a while.
Hey I resent your including NBC in your list. They are well known for their balance on man frying mother gaia. See:

Green Your Routine - NBC Site

Any rumors that this allowed them to write off their schedule for the month to help Parent GE (No green conflict there) pay zero taxes for the year is simply more right wing propaganda.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: electron wrangler
Default Re: Climategate--The Final Chapter

Originally Posted by dustrpilot View Post
...crop yields are going up, and have been for the last 30 years that I've been involved in agriculture. So if your claiming a warmer earth is causing a decrease in crop yield I have to throw the BS flag on that play.
Notwithstanding you flag, that's exactly what I'm claiming. We are bumping up against the "crop yield" threshold, beyond which past experience becomes irrelevant. If you're
in your 20s, you will live to see food riots in this country.

...As plant scientists refine their understanding of climate change and the subtle ways in which plants respond, they are beginning to think that the most serious threats to agriculture will not be the most dramatic: the lethal heatwave or severe drought or endless deluge. Instead, for plants that humans have bred to thrive in specific climatic conditions, it is those subtle shifts in temperatures and rainfall during key periods in the crops' life cycles that will be most disruptive. Even today, crop losses associated with background climate variability are significantly higher than those caused by disasters such as hurricanes or flooding.

John Sheehy at the International Rice Research Institute in Manila has found that damage to the world's major grain crops begins when temperatures climb above 30 degrees C during flowering. At about 40 degrees C, yields are reduced to zero. "In rice, wheat, and maize, grain yields are likely to decline by 10 percent for every 1 degree C increase over 30 degrees. We are already at or close to this threshold," Sheehy says, noting regular heat damage in Cambodia, India, and his own center in the Philippines, where the average temperature is now 2.5 degrees C higher than 50 years ago...
The Irony of Climate | Worldwatch Institute

Originally Posted by Lester Brown
Above all, water shortages and climate change will constrain output. Every one-degree Centigrade increase in temperature will reduce grain yields by 10 percent, he said.

That will take some time, however. For the moment, analysts are looking more closely at seasonal factors.
Kudos to the Post for quoting Brown. But I think they missed his point.
Climate change is already contributing to the extreme weather (and local water shortages) that are helping to drive up food prices...
Washington Post, Lester Brown explain how extreme weather, climate change drive record food prices. | ThinkProgress

Last edited by N2264J; 12-05-2011 at 05:20 AM.