Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Climategate--The Final Chapter >

Climategate--The Final Chapter

Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Climategate--The Final Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

From the article:

Europe's most senior climate change official states:

"I think we have to realise that in the world of the 21st century for us to have the cheapest possible energy is not the answer."

This tells me all I need to know about how this “most senior” climate change official fails to comprehend the basics of energy consumption and pricing policies. Lordy!

However, EU and other policymakers are worried that the IPCC's forthcoming admission, expected on Sep 27, that previous forecasts are wrong will damage the legitimacy of climate change policies, such as levies and fuel taxes on consumers to fund renewable energy.

This tells you what these people are truly worried about. It’s not climate change or energy policies. Its lack of income from levies and fuel taxes that are actually placed into general funds that help prop up their failed EU economic policies.

"To the extent the EU climate policies have affected the world, it has made energy more costly, reduced growth and consigned more people to poverty."

I’m so shocked (NOT!)
Old 10-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Libertarian Resistance

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 757 FO

money quotes:

"since 1950, natural gas and nuclear prevented 36 times more carbon emissions than wind, solar, and geothermal. Nuclear avoided the creation of 28 billion tons of carbon dioxide, natural gas 26 billion, and geothermal, wind, and solar just 1.5 billion."

"Emissions fell in the United States thanks largely to a technology loathed by the Left: fracking. From 2007 to 2012, electricity from natural gas increased from 21.6 to 30.4 percent, while electricity from coal declined from 50 to 38 percent"

"One cannot logically claim that carbon emissions pose a catastrophic threat to human civilization and then oppose the only two technologies capable of immediately and significantly reducing them. And yet this is precisely the position of Al Gore, Bill McKibben, the Sierra Club, NRDC, and the bulk of the environmental movement."

Read the whole thing here:

The Breakthrough Institute - Climate Skeptics Against Global Warming

WW
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Default "Comments can be bad for science"

Here's how one magazine is dealing with GW deniers and other skeptics who challenge "settled science":

Why We're Shutting Off Our Comments | Popular Science
Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
Here's how one magazine is dealing with GW deniers and other skeptics who challenge "settled science":

Why We're Shutting Off Our Comments | Popular Science
I am 95% certain that popular science is in a death spiral.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Sep 2013

A good chunk of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics is not real science or engineering but extrapolative schlock intended to excite and lure in magazine buyers anxious to read how "hero astronauts" believe NASA needs billions to build "rockets bigger than Apollo" and "establish a 5,000 man moon colony by 2000 AD."
Indeed, some of the articles accompanying illustrations in Popular Science are absolute classics of how bad their science and crystal ball was.

We see how ridiculous it can get from 1950s Pop Science articles on prominent nuclear scientists boosting nuclear bombs for widening and deepening city harbors. Or inadvertently hilarious stuff claiming that by 1965 almost every home would have a robot (with a black-faced robot in a maids uniform to illustrate), many articles on space hotels with family of 4 and the family dog all in space suits and enjoying the Zero G floating about....

And my favorite...a well-done article in the early 60s on the 1st jet packs, careful stats and science on jet history that show jet propulsion is for far more than the "jet set" in the near future. With an illustration of a squadron of "Mad Men" dressed in fedoras and 3-piece suits with briefcase in hand, flying on jet packs to Manhattan from the 'burbs.
Will Jet Packs soon make the commuter train a thing of the past?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Libertarian Resistance

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 757 FO
Default Global Warming has assumed room temperature

Nice summary of how things look by James Delingpole:

The climate alarmists have lost the debate: it's time we stopped indulging their poisonous fantasy ? Telegraph Blogs

WW
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Just because I love seeing the alarmist sound like crazies, I brought this thread back.

Cold dis-comfort: Antarctica set record of -135.8

Discuss.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
Just because I love seeing the alarmist sound like crazies, I brought this thread back.

Cold dis-comfort: Antarctica set record of -135.8

Discuss.
While it was 37 degrees and raining this weekend in alaska.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
While it was 37 degrees and raining this weekend in alaska.
Yes CO2 only effects the northern hemisphere. You mean Anchorage was +10 of normal?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by FDXLAG View Post
Yes CO2 only effects the northern hemisphere. You mean Anchorage was +10 of normal?
you mean scientists were attempting to find the coldest place in the world? Yes, I posted something just as outlandish as you! Yay for me!