Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Spinning an Airliner >

Spinning an Airliner

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Spinning an Airliner

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Retired

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: whale wrangler

Originally Posted by detpilot View Post
Thanks for sharing, that was great!
Your welcome and it would have been cool to have seen a video of her doing a barrel roll.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 AM
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

How about a Hawker 800XP snap roll multiple times on a ferry flight at the hands of contract pilots:

Hawker 800XP....snap rolled 3-4 times - PPRuNe Forums

Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Retired

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: whale wrangler

FTB here's one for you to try
YouTube - ‪Bob Hoover Airplane Roll‬‏
Ally
Old 06-12-2011, 03:44 PM
China Visa Applicant

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: IPZ to Mr.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If you do a proper barrel roll, you maintain 1G at all times.
How do you ever pitch the nose up to start the roll, or recover from the nose down portion of the roll if you "maintain 1G at all times"?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
How do you ever pitch the nose up to start the roll, or recover from the nose down portion of the roll if you "maintain 1G at all times"?
You just have to be gentle. You don't have to snatch the stick aft to start the nose up just start a gentle pull on the stick once you get the nose high enough start a coordinated roll as the airplane rolls though inverted the nose starts down and by the time you get to wings level the nose is just about on the horizon. You just have to know where to put the nose before you start and it's higher than you'd think it should be.

It takes some practice but it's very simple.

Click on the link above and watch Bob Hoover do a very nice smooth 1 g roll. Bob proves that being smooth is obtainable even for a fighter pilot. I know it sounds strange that a fighter guy could be smooth but it's possible.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

I don't see how a small number of rolls could make such dimples as we see here. It would have to be an amazingly hard acceleration one way then the other in the longitude to torque it so. There are no forces opposing the roll axis within the fuselage itself besides than the mass of the fuselage. It would seem to indicate some fantastic jerks one way and the other and I can't imagine such forces unless they were flying well above maneuvering speed.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Sleeping in the black swan’s nest.

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I don't see how a small number of rolls could make such dimples as we see here. It would have to be an amazingly hard acceleration one way then the other in the longitude to torque it so. There are no forces opposing the roll axis within the fuselage itself besides than the mass of the fuselage. It would seem to indicate some fantastic jerks one way and the other and I can't imagine such forces unless they were flying well above maneuvering speed.
Well, if you click on the link and read the included NTSB report it says it was a hard landing. That makes more sense to me. Can you even do a true snap roll in a swept wing airplane? I'm sure you can but I've never seen it done. I'm talking real life fully stalled snap roll not a flick roll.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Are we there yet??!!

Joined APC: Apr 2006

1. Read the article
2. A snap roll involves no aileron and its a quite violent maneuver initiated by stalling the elevator and stomping the rudder. So yeah, there are quite a bit of torsion forces involved espically when aileron is used to stop the maneuver. A-la fuselage twist.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

I'm not sure I would call the pilots fantastic, but, yes, there were some jerks on that aircraft.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

The word jerk is actually a physics term; velocity differentiated with respect to time gives acceleration while acceleration differentiated w.r.t time gives jerk. I suppose if we rapidly accelerate those bad pilots we have to get rid of them for bending tin we also achieve high rates of jerk in those pilots by doing so- and you could say they were jerks on multiple levels.

Wiki-"jerk"