Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: Reclining

Originally Posted by 200Driver View Post
I don't think the staffing bid will really cause to much shuffle. This is because the bid will be a vacancy only bid, the only displacements will be from the BIL guys. There may be a little movement from them shuffling but I don't see a whole lot. The GNV base will be expanded as well as the CLE system so this will also help keep movement to a minimum. You also aren't gonna see many upgrades (vacancy only), maybe one class, probably mostly BIL senior guys who can hold it.

I don't think Silver is a bad place depending on what you are looking for and a 2 year upgrade wouldn't be unrealistic but that would be the soonest in my opinion. As far as commuting, depends on the base. Out stations in the ATL, IAD, and CLE system tough to say the least, but ATL and IAD themselves not bad, however these are reserve only basses. Silver has potential but this potential depends on what your career goals and QOL expectations are.
Not really sure about what a "vacancy only" staffing bid is. I thought a staffing bid was a staffing bid!! If your seniority can hold it, you can bid it and be awarded it. Silver then has a year to honor the award. So if a Saab F/O wants a captain position and he can hold it, then he gets awarded that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats how I interpret it.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: Reclining

Originally Posted by flight81 View Post
I applied today. 1500TT, 600 multi, 350 turbine, part 121. I have a few questions

1. Is commuting possible and/or doable?
2. What is the most likely new hire base?
3. How long before you can hold a line and have some kind of QOL?
4. What types of lines are available?
5. How is reserve worked?
6. Upgrade time?

I know things change a lot, but I will take a best guess. Just want some intel should I get a call.
1) Commuting is always possible. It just depends on how much free time you're willing to give up. Most of the new hires in the last few months were hired on the 1900, so we have outstation basing in small communities in PA and WV. So commuting kinda sux. And CLE isn't the best commuting hub either.
2) If you get hired on the 1900, it would be BFD, DUJ or PKB. But there is a new staffing bid coming out in the next week since Silver is closing their BIL 1900 base. So, with those guys bidding back east, who really knows where the cards will fall. CLE is also opening as a small reserve-only base. Since I'm on the 1900, I'm not really sure about Saab openings or staffing issues.
3)Again, hard to say with the new staffing bid coming out. Some new hires have gotten lines right away. But I also know of several that have been on reserve (DUJ) and been onreserve for a year! So it just depends on luck and timing I suppose.
4) 1900 lines in the CLE system are all day trips with no overnights. So you'll definitely need a crash pad. Saab trips vary by base. Saab outstations in the IAD and ATL system are mostly day drips as well from what I gather. The Florida Saab bases have mostly overnights, but those bases are relatively senior. So don't expect to get FLL, TPA or GNV.
5) Reserve is the standard 90 minute call out. 12 hour reserve period, typically 6-6, but it can vary. No long call reserve or airport (ready) reserve.
6) You'd need a crystal ball for this one. Too many variables. Depends on if the Company decides to get any more planes, but I've heard there are no more Saab 340 B+ aircraft available on the market. Also, the 1900 fleet is shrinking as well with the closing of the Billings operation.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your decision.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: B767

You'd be insane to commute from El Paso to any of our bases. As of late the lines are barely commutable. You'll only get 11-13 days off per month and you'll be jumpseating for most of them. Expect to be in reserve for the foreseeable future unless you'd like to experience majestic lands like Greenville, Mississippi. There are a lot of lifers and DECs still trying to get out as well as FOs who have been here for years. Thus, do not expect to upgrade soon
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Position: I'm Buying

Originally Posted by flightmedic01 View Post
Not really sure about what a "vacancy only" staffing bid is. I thought a staffing bid was a staffing bid!! If your seniority can hold it, you can bid it and be awarded it. Silver then has a year to honor the award. So if a Saab F/O wants a captain position and he can hold it, then he gets awarded that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats how I interpret it.
A "vacancy only" bid means you only get the base / seat if there is a vacancy. Meaning guys can not be bumped out of there base or seat unless a displaced pilot (i.e BIL) bids for that specific spot. This is directly from our contract and silver management. Our contract clearly states that staffing bids can only be used for vacancy realignment. Guys can not be bumped out of base, aircraft, or seat just because a senior guys wants it. Thus there will not be much movement, few downgrades or displacements and limited upgrades. This is how the contract reads and is the cheapest way for management to go.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: 737

Thanks all for the input. Helps a lot!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by 200Driver View Post
Originally Posted by flightmedic01 View Post
A "vacancy only" bid means you only get the base / seat if there is a vacancy. Meaning guys can not be bumped out of there base or seat unless a displaced pilot (i.e BIL) bids for that specific spot. This is directly from our contract and silver management. Our contract clearly states that staffing bids can only be used for vacancy realignment. Guys can not be bumped out of base, aircraft, or seat just because a senior guys wants it. Thus there will not be much movement, few downgrades or displacements and limited upgrades. This is how the contract reads and is the cheapest way for management to go.
This, except when someone leaves for another base that creates a secondary vacancy, that is then filled by seniority. For example, they say that GNV is expanding, so If an aoo ca takes and is awarded the GNV vacancy then his leaving would create a vacancy in aoo that the most senior pilot that has aoo ca in their bid would get awarded that slot. Conversely if all aoo ca spots are presently filled and no one moves out voluntarily then even the #1 guy in the system wouldn't get an aoo ca spot. Only someone that is displaced (I.e. BIL pilots) could bump into aoo in this scenario, assuming that someone junior to them is in that base and seat presently. This would then cause the most junior ca in aoo to become displaced and he would then have displacement rights.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

How have you guys figured out how to fold this new release? Ha. I was off for several days and came back to the new release. Threw me off a bit.

Not sure if the layout is still being worked on, but the legs section was split in two, some in one section, then some on another page.

Would also like to see the CTOT and runway analysis included on release! Looks like we are moving in the right direction though.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

We're Silver, what did you expect? We move in the right direction, trying to make Gold but....
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Smile

Originally Posted by CloudPilot57 View Post
How have you guys figured out how to fold this new release? Ha. I was off for several days and came back to the new release. Threw me off a bit.

Not sure if the layout is still being worked on, but the legs section was split in two, some in one section, then some on another page.

Would also like to see the CTOT and runway analysis included on release! Looks like we are moving in the right direction though.
I just origami it, it's fun and pax love it
Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Looks like I'm going to be on reserve (B1900 guy here) for a loooong time, unless I can convince the training department to put me in the Saab... and even then...