Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: retired

training is not lacking is the low flying skills of pilots.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by globalexpress View Post
Why such a high failure/washout rate? Are they hiring really low-time guys or is the training pretty lacking?
Neither. Training is fine. Our B1900D instructor was great. She knows her stuff quite well. As for the high washout rate, it's not a company issue, it's a personal issue. Personality being off the chart. Examples: @$$hole like, too laid back and don't want to study, just don't get it and are afraid to ask because of embarrassment, etc... If you would have seen some of the guys in the class, you would know they wouldn't make it through after the basic indoc test. I mean... dang... LOL... All I can really say without dropping names (which I won't on here btw) is... Walk into ANY training event, ANY company, with an open mind, be willing to learn any and every thing, don't have your wife/girlfriend/sig other etc... come down, put your nose to the grindstone, study 3-4hrs after class with at least half of that with 1-3 other classmates (depending on your style. I'm a 1 other person type myself), and dear god don't be afraid to ask questions... Just make sure your questions weren't covered, reviewed, and beaten like a dead horse during the previous day of class... cuz that happened WAY too effing much with one specific individual who EXPECTED us to give him notes at the end of each day, cuz he took 0... Like I said... if only you saw some of the individuals in my B1900 class... That's all I'll say to anyone who reads this on a public forum...
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM
ILL BEE DAT

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Rollin' Down tha 405

...so basically like any other airline training program...
Old 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
Your first gig huh?
No, just telling it how it is.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

So apparently CEO wants to talk to the union about ways to increase retention in a meeting coming this week. I would go for a retention bonus and pay raise, kinda like those military incentives to make you re-enlist. Maybe even go for pulling all stations to the hubs as I have SDS (shiny domicile syndrome).

Hopefully a way to make this place better is planned out, as there's potential, just no one wants to push for it.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by flightmedic01 View Post
You know its for the great service from the "coffee lady" in CLE!! Owwknow. I diden make um!!
Is yu da po...lisss! As she smacks her teefeses "teeth"
Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by Salukipilot4590 View Post
...so basically like any other airline training program...
Which is why I said "any training event, any company", so yes.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Lovin' life at .4 (ish) mach

Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
So I hear the last 1900 class had a whopping wash out rate? Anyone have any info on that?
Originally Posted by EatMyPropwash View Post
Neither. Training is fine. Our B1900D instructor was great. She knows her stuff quite well. As for the high washout rate, it's not a company issue, it's a personal issue. Personality being off the chart. Examples: @$$hole like, too laid back and don't want to study, just don't get it and are afraid to ask because of embarrassment, etc... If you would have seen some of the guys in the class, you would know they wouldn't make it through after the basic indoc test. I mean... dang... LOL... All I can really say without dropping names (which I won't on here btw) is... Walk into ANY training event, ANY company, with an open mind, be willing to learn any and every thing, don't have your wife/girlfriend/sig other etc... come down, put your nose to the grindstone, study 3-4hrs after class with at least half of that with 1-3 other classmates (depending on your style. I'm a 1 other person type myself), and dear god don't be afraid to ask questions... Just make sure your questions weren't covered, reviewed, and beaten like a dead horse during the previous day of class... cuz that happened WAY too effing much with one specific individual who EXPECTED us to give him notes at the end of each day, cuz he took 0... Like I said... if only you saw some of the individuals in my B1900 class... That's all I'll say to anyone who reads this on a public forum...
Is it the same individual that we both know? The same individual that I mistakenly wrote letters of rec: for the interview, to redo the written test (after failing by 1 question) on the interview, when I told him not to quit because my name is attached to his actions and then no showed for 2 extra orals after failing the first one. Then had the nerve to ask me to call Andrew Tracey asking him to give this individual another chance at the preoral? The same guy? Who also failed out of 2 previous regional airline training programs....

Moral of the story, I will be extremely careful who I write letters for, if I do it in the future.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Airbus 320 Right Seat

Not a great idea to be using full names on here, fair enough to say the above named mentioned wouldn't care for it ....
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
So apparently CEO wants to talk to the union about ways to increase retention in a meeting coming this week. I would go for a retention bonus and pay raise, kinda like those military incentives to make you re-enlist. Maybe even go for pulling all stations to the hubs as I have SDS (shiny domicile syndrome).
Makes sense... other airlines are offering $5k to go there, how about Silver gives, say, $3k to stay? just some wishful thinking. I'd probably nibble, maybe even bite.