Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by jsfBoat View Post
Is it the same individual that we both know? The same individual that I mistakenly wrote letters of rec: for the interview, to redo the written test (after failing by 1 question) on the interview, when I told him not to quit because my name is attached to his actions and then no showed for 2 extra orals after failing the first one. Then had the nerve to ask me to call Andrew Tracey asking him to give this individual another chance at the preoral? The same guy? Who also failed out of 2 previous regional airline training programs....

Moral of the story, I will be extremely careful who I write letters for, if I do it in the future.
Well, that's just one person, but everything minus the "A-hole" comment was everyone else. Most just seemed so bummed to be flying the B1900D, and not the SF340 they just didn't want to try... The ones that did make it didn't care...the rest washed out and away they went...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by sandrich View Post
Makes sense... other airlines are offering $5k to go there, how about Silver gives, say, $3k to stay? just some wishful thinking. I'd probably nibble, maybe even bite.
The one thing that really kills Silver is the outstation basing (which came from the GIA days). Unless you live darn near one, or actually want (which nobody ever said) a 2-3 leg commute, it's hard to say "SWEET! I'm based in Parkersburg, WV!". ORD-CLE-PKV would just suck... But... For me, I just wanted to fly... didn't care which plane I was on, didn't care too much which base they put me at, because all were 2 leggers on the B1900 anyway (for me). I picked KBIL, but we know where that's going, LOL.

Now that I'm going to be on the Saab, I know it'll sound weird, but to help my QOL I'm picking KIAD (Dulles) as my base (which I believe is junior base w/ATL), and then KATL ('lanta) after that as 2nd pick, only because it's a 1 leg commute. Eventually w/seniority I'll pick a different base, and go for a non-reserve line (KIAD and KATL are reserve lines only). Time will tell, and I'm sure it'll all change by next week.. but for this week, that sounds good...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by EatMyPropwash View Post
The one thing that really kills Silver is the outstation basing (which came from the GIA days). Unless you live darn near one, or actually want (which nobody ever said) a 2-3 leg commute, it's hard to say "SWEET! I'm based in Parkersburg, WV!". ORD-CLE-PKV would just suck... But... For me, I just wanted to fly... didn't care which plane I was on, didn't care too much which base they put me at, because all were 2 leggers on the B1900 anyway (for me). I picked KBIL, but we know where that's going, LOL.

Now that I'm going to be on the Saab, I know it'll sound weird, but to help my QOL I'm picking KIAD (Dulles) as my base (which I believe is junior base w/ATL), and then KATL ('lanta) after that as 2nd pick, only because it's a 1 leg commute. Eventually w/seniority I'll pick a different base, and go for a non-reserve line (KIAD and KATL are reserve lines only). Time will tell, and I'm sure it'll all change by next week.. but for this week, that sounds good...

So you're the first new hire to jump into the saab since last year? crazy, hope you were at least able to get the 1900 type out of it in conjunction? ATL is pretty junior, those guys never really fly. IAD I think is still pretty junior as well. But then again it could be worse... you could go to GLH RSV and hate your life as you drink brown water.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Talking

Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
So you're the first new hire to jump into the saab since last year? crazy, hope you were at least able to get the 1900 type out of it in conjunction? ATL is pretty junior, those guys never really fly. IAD I think is still pretty junior as well. But then again it could be worse... you could go to GLH RSV and hate your life as you drink brown water.
Gotta love that brown water!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by dmncnpilot View Post
No, just whining about how most airlines are....
Fixed it for ya bud Welcome to life at a worse regional than your last.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm a man of my word.

Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by jsfBoat View Post
Then had the nerve to ask me to call A***** T**** asking him to give this individual another chance at the preoral?.
This is a party foul. Never use someone's full name on a public Forum.

Originally Posted by rightside02 View Post
Not a great idea to be using full names on here, fair enough to say the above named mentioned wouldn't care for it ....
^This.

If you want to use full names, head on over to APA1224 Forum.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: B767

If that meeting is actually happening and company people monitor these boards then please take this comment into consideration. You can retain pilots by paying them more hourly, by getting rid of the out station basing, and by getting rid of all semblance to Gulfstream. I know a few old timers have been fired lately but we need to be Silver, not a re branded and slightly less dysfunctional GIA. Also, I feel bad for you BIL guys. But, since I've been at this company my Saab seniority has decreased significantly from all the senior Beech guys transitioning over! Now after over a year I can't hold a line in any base and upgrade is nowhere on the horizon which were my only two reasons for working here. Friggin annoying.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by sandrich View Post
Makes sense... other airlines are offering $5k to go there, how about Silver gives, say, $3k to stay? just some wishful thinking. I'd probably nibble, maybe even bite.
Wanna bet the meeting is really an attempt to try to come up with ways to increase retention WITHOUT doing what every single person on this board knows needs to be done?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by Temocil27 View Post
that meeting is actually happening and company people monitor these boards then please take this comment into consideration. You can retain pilots by paying them more hourly, by getting rid of the out station basing, and by getting rid of all Also, I feel bad for you BIL guys. But, since I've been at this company my Saab seniority has decreased significantly from all the senior Beech guys transitioning over! Now after over a year I can't hold a line in any base and upgrade is nowhere on the horizon which were my only two reasons for working here. Friggin annoying.
More hourly-yes
Get rid of outstation basing- not everyone wants this.
Cant hold a line and upgrade- Ask American Eagle guys about holding a line. It takes YEARS. Same thing on upgrade. If it takes two or three years here its still faster than any other gig around.
With all that said. Yeah Silvers going to have a hard time with retention. No matter what they do. Is there a pilot shortage? I think Silver management would say yes. Its going to boil down to those people that want to be here for the flying. Short hops, FL bases, hand flying small planes. Those just wanting to build a resume and bounce will not enjoy life here.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm a man of my word.

Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Temocil27 View Post
If that meeting is actually happening and company people monitor these boards then please take this comment into consideration. You can retain pilots by paying them more hourly, by getting rid of the out station basing, and by getting rid of all semblance to Gulfstream. I know a few old timers have been fired lately but we need to be Silver, not a re branded and slightly less dysfunctional GIA. Also, I feel bad for you BIL guys. But, since I've been at this company my Saab seniority has decreased significantly from all the senior Beech guys transitioning over! Now after over a year I can't hold a line in any base and upgrade is nowhere on the horizon which were my only two reasons for working here. Friggin annoying.