Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: Underpaid gear operator and seat warmer

what ever happened to the round table meetings? i don't see those happening n e more. :-/
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Propspilot View Post
More hourly-yes
Get rid of outstation basing- not everyone wants this.
Cant hold a line and upgrade- Ask American Eagle guys about holding a line. It takes YEARS. Same thing on upgrade. If it takes two or three years here its still faster than any other gig around.
With all that said. Yeah Silvers going to have a hard time with retention. No matter what they do. Is there a pilot shortage? I think Silver management would say yes. Its going to boil down to those people that want to be here for the flying. Short hops, FL bases, hand flying small planes. Those just wanting to build a resume and bounce will not enjoy life here.
That's why I came to work here because I was told I would hold a line soon. I'm well aware of the situation at other carriers like Eagle. That's why I didn't go there
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by Temocil27 View Post
Now after over a year I can't hold a line in any base and upgrade is nowhere on the horizon which were my only two reasons for working here. Friggin annoying.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 PM
ILL BEE DAT

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Rollin' Down tha 405

We were all told lots of things.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2011

Originally Posted by Temocil27 View Post
But, since I've been at this company my Saab seniority has decreased significantly from all the senior Beech guys transitioning over! Now after over a year I can't hold a line in any base and upgrade is nowhere on the horizon which were my only two reasons for working here. Friggin annoying.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007

More hourly-yes
Cant hold a line and upgrade- Ask American Eagle guys about holding a line. It takes YEARS. Same thing on upgrade. If it takes two or three years here its still faster than any other gig around.
With all that said. Yeah Silvers going to have a hard time with retention. No matter what they do. Is there a pilot shortage? I think Silver management would say yes. Its going to boil down to those people that want to be here for the flying. Short hops, FL bases, hand flying small planes. Those just wanting to build a resume and bounce will not enjoy life here.
I agree with this guy. I originally hated outstations as well, but now would not have it any other way. Out station basing is fun, cheap, provides better products for passengers, and is something different from every other regional out there. There is a model that companies use to determine when hub basing is efficient and we don't fit into it on our flights outside of Florida. Anyway, every other regional that does have hubs is hiring, so should be plenty of opportunity for people to leave Silver and go to a commutable base with a ExpressJet or Republic or whoever. I personally think out station is the way to go and you certainly get a lot more for your dollar in the outstations.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

More hourly-yes
I agree with this guy. I originally hated outstations as well, but now would not have it any other way. Out station basing is fun, cheap, provides better products for passengers, and is something different from every other regional out there. There is a model that companies use to determine when hub basing is efficient and we don't fit into it on our flights outside of Florida. Anyway, every other regional that does have hubs is hiring, so should be plenty of opportunity for people to leave Silver and go to a commutable base with a ExpressJet or Republic or whoever. I personally think out station is the way to go and you certainly get a lot more for your dollar in the outstations.

GLH has a spot for ya
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by JayCypher View Post
Well... I see your points, but for the commuters out there (and I'm one of them), commuting to an outstation base sucks. 2 or 3 leg commute? 2 is my personal max. I'm actually wanting IAD first, then ATL because they're 1 leg commutes with plenty of flights into/out of them daily to O'Hare... For someone like me, that drastically increases the little QOL I have, but I'll take any and all that I can get... Eventually I may end up going to a different base, holding a non-reserve only line (IAD and ATL), and doing that thing... time will tell.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

I wouldn't mind the out station bases if there was a little more cash in the paycheck... Especially since I'm a commuter. The company's wondering how to retain more FOs. While I don't think they would just throw $5k to every FO, why not offer an incentive. Other airlines are offering $5k sign on, requiring 2 year commitment, why don't Silver offer 5k to all FOs and require 1 or 2 more years of service, or just $5/hr across the board...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
GLH has a spot for ya
HAHA - touché! I have heard some out stations are worse than others...