Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Position: I'm Buying

Originally Posted by GearOperator View Post
Pretty quiet here. What gives? Is this good? Or bad?
Staffing bid is irrelevant (won't ever be implemented), no growth, rumor is VPA is pulling out (shocker )...

all I ever wanted was my BE1900 CA seat, damn... ...

Out the rest of the week at interviews...

Anyone else?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Yup same out on interviews ready to leave
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by inrange View Post

12 days and a wake up! my favorite quote today from scheduling from one of my buddies.

"OMG you're not calling to quit too are you?"
Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Does anyone know how many are leaving this month? My best guess is 3-4.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: E-175 CA

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 View Post
I heard 8 in the last week. This from a LCA friend of mine I ran into today who was flying right seat because of staffing.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 PM
ILL BEE DAT

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Rollin' Down tha 405

I told em...
Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm a man of my word.

Position: Devil's Advocate

According to the preference bid, our numbers have decreased by 13 since the staffing bid award. And I still see a name or two on there that won't be there for long...

With 26 Saabs and 8 1900s, we need a staffing level of roughly 250 pilots, bare minimum, to make this a smooth and successful operation. Otherwise, with training, vacation, and other considerations, they're going to have a really hard time keeping everything up to speed.

However, that said, with the reduction of flying on the Montana side, that brings us down to 4 1900s (with 1 or 2 spares). They still need about 225 guys/gals to stay on top of what they got. And they definitely need to start hiring more people to stop the hemorrhaging of pilots that they are currently experiencing. Which brings us to the question of: How does Silver Airways attract new applicants in a level playing field (i.e. the "1500 rule")?

Money. QOL. Two things Silver doesn't offer (comparatively to other regional carriers).

Last edited by CaptainCarl; 08-08-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by CaptainCarl View Post
According to the preference bid, our numbers have decreased by 13 since the staffing bid award. And I still see a name or two on there that won't be there for long...

With 26 Saabs and 8 1900s, we need a staffing level of roughly 250 pilots, bare minimum, to make this a smooth and successful operation. Otherwise, with training, vacation, and other considerations, they're going to have a really hard time keeping everything up to speed.

However, that said, with the reduction of flying on the Montana side, that brings us down to 4 1900s (with 1 or 2 spares). They still need about 225 guys/gals to stay on top of what they got. And they definitely need to start hiring more people to stop the hemorrhaging of pilots that they are currently experiencing. Which brings us to the question of: How does Silver Airways attract new applicants in a level playing field (i.e. the "1500 rule")?

Money. QOL. Two things Silver doesn't offer (comparatively to other regional carriers).
Where are you seeing the pref award?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Lovin' life at .4 (ish) mach

Originally Posted by inrange View Post
Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
12 days and a wake up! my favorite quote today from scheduling from one of my buddies.

"OMG you're not calling to quit too are you?"
That's too funny......

Originally Posted by Cruz5350 View Post
Originally Posted by CaptainCarl View Post
Which brings us to the question of: How does Silver Airways attract new applicants in a level playing field (i.e. the "1500 rule")?

People come here because either no one else would hire us, or the quick upgrade (assuming someone didn't want to become a lifer), so now that other places are hiring (more willingly than before) that are better and no upgrades in sight for the majority of F/Os, I don't think they can attract anyone.

From what I'm hearing as far as going to the "Dream" company, they either want jet or PIC time, preferably both. None of which will happen for the vast majority of us here. Why stay here another year building time in a turboprop (which no one seems to care about anyways) when it would be better getting some jet time? Others have different reasons of leaving (Cruz) but I got some experience to make myself more marketable for other regionals (amazing what some Turbine 121 and an ATP ticket will do) that wouldn't have bothered to call me when I had only CFI and flying a few GA airplanes coast to coast trips for experience.

No matter what happens, if I'm on an overnight and I see you (former Silver Alumni) I'll stop and say hi and possibly have a beer or two with you.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by jsfBoat View Post
That's too funny......

People come here because either no one else would hire us, or the quick upgrade (assuming someone didn't want to become a lifer), so now that other places are hiring (more willingly than before) that are better and no upgrades in sight for the majority of F/Os, I don't think they can attract anyone.

From what I'm hearing as far as going to the "Dream" company, they either want jet or PIC time, preferably both. None of which will happen for the vast majority of us here. Why stay here another year building time in a turboprop (which no one seems to care about anyways) when it would be better getting some jet time? Others have different reasons of leaving (Cruz) but I got some experience to make myself more marketable for other regionals (amazing what some Turbine 121 and an ATP ticket will do) that wouldn't have bothered to call me when I had only CFI and flying a few GA airplanes coast to coast trips for experience.

No matter what happens, if I'm on an overnight and I see you (former Silver Alumni) I'll stop and say hi and possibly have a beer or two with you.

Quality of life is everything. Unfortunately it's something this company fails to see. There is a lot of good people here at silver and it will suck not being able to work with them anymore, in the end it's the big picture one has to be focused with. Hopefully one day they will realize the value of their employees and not trample over them.