Other Regional Airlines

Silver Airways

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: B767

Originally Posted by pilotandmech View Post
Wow! Not 2 yrs. in business and everybody wants to leave? I was going to ask for an interview, which most people would think is insane because I do mx. for a large airline in Orlando; but it's not flying. If I do still decide to interview, what should I brush up on? What is the pass rate? I have an ATP, CFI/I, MEI, and A&P w/2350 hrs., and 375 multi. I'm not current multi, or very current IFR (I'm working on it, though.)Thanks for the help.
They're getting bottom of the barrel applicants so I'd imagine wash out rate is higher than average. Study Gleim ATP questions. You won't be based in Florida by the way. You'll be in Mississippi or West Virginia. Lines aren't commutable. They've got a couple upgrade classes supposedly scheduled for later this year. But they're seriously deficient in FOs so I don't understand that. So yea. Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Lovin' life at .4 (ish) mach

"Have a pulse? No murder convictions? Congrats, you're hired."
From what I've heard about the UAL guaranteed interview is:
-4 years with the company
-Currently a Captain
-No disciplinary action
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Respek

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Originally Posted by jsfBoat View Post
-No disciplinary action
That just eliminated half the company due to Knappsack.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

-Currently a Captain
-No disciplinary action
4 yrs at silver? Gtfoh.... That's not worth it.... Going to be hard to be a captain with DECs sitting it out until something better comes around. Not to mention not enough FOs means no movement. Then the lifers.... Prolly not going to go to leave to UA. Especially those guys that left and then came back.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

-Currently a Captain
-No disciplinary action
A flow through agreement that (at max) ~30% of the seniority list is eligible for... yay!

Looking at the most recent bid pack, over 60% of the pilots on the list have been hired within the last 2 years, so no "Silver" hired pilots are eligible or will be eligible for some time to come.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013

So, most pilots there are from Gulfstream? Did you have any pilots that didn't meet the 1500 hr. requirement?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: O-2 pilot

Wow! Not 2 yrs. in business and everybody wants to leave? I was going to ask for an interview, which most people would think is insane because I do mx. for a large airline in Orlando; but it's not flying. If I do still decide to interview, what should I brush up on? What is the pass rate? I have an ATP, CFI/I, MEI, and A&P w/2350 hrs., and 375 multi. I'm not current multi, or very current IFR (I'm working on it, though.)Thanks for the help.
Just because they might hire you doesn't mean its a done deal. You are taking a huge risk giving up your job to come here. My sim partner was in a similar situation as you. He was a former flight engineer/mechanic/flight instructor. No part-121 flying experience though (actually flying in the front seats anyways). He washed out of sim. Basically he fell a couple lessons behind and Silver cut him loose. Consider that when you leave your current job. With your experience level there's probably a good chance that you re not going to make it through training at Silver. The Saab is more difficult than the typical RJ and I don't think that Silver is going to give the extra training like many places do. If you can't go back to your old job I wouldn't take the risk of coming to Silver in your situation.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:54 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013

I am quite aware that you can get hired, but not make it to the line, that's why I asked what the washout rate is. How many hours did the pilots who did make it generally have? I never said anything about quitting my major job, either.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

I am quite aware that you can get hired, but not make it to the line, that's why I asked what the washout rate is. How many hours did the pilots who did make it generally have? I never said anything about quitting my major job, either.
When I was first hired in a class of 18 pilots we had 2 washouts for the 1900. Both had thousands of hours and were going to be captains. Both washed out at different points. One was a for FE and couldn't make it thru sims. The other did not want to cooperate and graduate.

The hours is a negligible item as you can have thousands of hours and never have the fundamentals. If you come in with a good attitude and actually take the effort you can make it through their training process. Silver definitely is one of those space shuttle training outfits that want you to know at what torque a certain bolt sets in, so attention to detail is crucial.

Tony who was doing the Saab ground school is gone and he did an awesome job. I don't know who does it now and if it's still taught in a practical manner for a pilot and not a rocket scientist.

Like others said if you successfully interview FL bases will be extremely hard to get. You might be drinking brown water in Greenville or freezing your cojones in AOO. Then again they could put you on the 1900 which means less pay still a tough commute.

If you want to stay in Florida checkout IBC or cape air.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by OldSF3Dude View Post
Just because they might hire you doesn't mean its a done deal. You are taking a huge risk giving up your job to come here. My sim partner was in a similar situation as you. He was a former flight engineer/mechanic/flight instructor. No part-121 flying experience though (actually flying in the front seats anyways). He washed out of sim. Basically he fell a couple lessons behind and Silver cut him loose. Consider that when you leave your current job. With your experience level there's probably a good chance that you re not going to make it through training at Silver. The Saab is more difficult than the typical RJ and I don't think that Silver is going to give the extra training like many places do. If you can't go back to your old job I wouldn't take the risk of coming to Silver in your situation.
That might be the single most arrogant, misinformed post I've ever read, especially to a guy looking for information about getting into the flying side of the industry...