Breaking News: Aircraft crash into building in Manhattan

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Intial reports show an aircraft hit an apartment building. Doesn't look like a terrorism related event.
Accident is located at 524 East 72nd street. Additional initial reports (FDNY) is that it might have been a helicopter that was involved in a midair collision.

Current weather:

KLGA 111851Z 10013KT 9SM OVC018 18/13 A2988
KJFK 111851Z 07011G19KT 8SM OVC015 18/13 A2988
i love how stupid the press makes themselves look!
i'm following up on the events as well and came on here to see if it was posted yet. The weather here isn't great, looks like an accident not terrorism, but we don't know much yet. I am hearing either a helicopter or small general aviation aircraft. I work in the area and i have just been paged into trauma, will check back later.
I've only seen the video on CNN but I am going to stick my neck out and predict this was a deliberate act against an ex-spouse who got it all. Time will tell but I'll bet he hit the specific apartment on purpose.

Hey, please don't jump down my throat with complaints about "waiting until the investigation Bla bla bla"....I am simply guessing, so let's see.
I heard on CNN that an eyewitness saw a fixed wing aircraft banking sharply to the right when it impacted the building. He thinks it was a single engine aircraft.
hard pressed to be an accident..i agree with mike's theory
Let's all hope for the sake of the industry and aviation that it wasn't another intentional collision with a building. Regardless of who it might have been or their motivations, if it does turn out to be an "attack", more useless legislation that does nothing to secure aviation (and only hurts law abiding aviators) is sure to follow.

That said, it seems like something like this happens every couple of years...

1995 - Cessna hits white house
2001 - 9/11
2002 - Cessna hits capital one building in Tampa
I am really bothered by the "experts" on the news. I love how they get "former people" from where ever to give us their "expert" opinions. For example: fox news has a former NYPD detective on the show talking about how general aviation is a real problem. They can fly wherever and whenever in "unrestricted airspace" and there is no way of monitoring them. It was the way he was talking and the way he was trying to convey what he thinks the real problem is. I think it would be helpful for the news channels to get a real expert on aviation on their program to explain how the rules apply and work.

Sorry, just my little rant, I couldn't take anymore of their BS.
cnn's site is saying it was a pitcher for the yankees flying a Cirrus SR-20 and possibly had a fuel problem...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/11/plane.crash/index.html
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to