Delta and TPG look To put bid on AMR Corp

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: CRJ FO
Default Delta and TPG look To put bid on AMR Corp

Delta, TPG Assessing Bids for American Airlines Parent
By GINA CHON, ANUPREETA DAS and MIKE SPECTOR

Delta Air Lines Inc. and private equity firm TPG Capital are separately assessing possible bids for American Airlines parent AMR Corp., with hopes that AMR's troubles presents another opportunity for airline consolidation, people familiar with the matter said.

AMR filed for bankruptcy court protection in late November and is in the midst of restructuring its debt and cutting labor costs after it. Any bid for AMR likely would come several months from now. AMR could use the bankruptcy process to shed a trove of obligations that a buyer might be hesitant to assume.

TPG Capital prefers to work with a strategic partner for a possible American Airlines investment, some of the people said. TPG, which has expertise in the airline industry, has approached AMR about its interest, they said.

Delta has hired Blackstone Group as its financial adviser to assess a potential AMR bid, people familiar with the matter said. Blackstone helped Delta restructure in its 2005 bankruptcy.

After its merger with Northwest Airlines in 2008, Delta became the world's largest carrier, meaning a deal with American would draw antitrust scrutiny. American is the nation's third-largest airline by traffic.

Delta has conducted an antitrust analysis on a possible tie-up with AMR and concluded that with some concessions, such a deal has a good chance of getting approval from regulators.

In a letter to employees in December, AMR's new chief executive, Tom Horton, hinted at speculation AMR might be the target of a takeover while in court protection: "And as we've seen before in this industry, there may be opportunists who wish to acquire our company," he said.

It's not certain that a deal will materialize. AMR has stressed it's focused on reorganizing and remaining independent. Also, it's not unusual for potential suitors to circle around a company in bankruptcy proceedings.

AMR is currently working on a business plan that it could brief creditors on sometime in the next three months, said a person familiar with the matter.

AMR and its various unions are also preparing for contentious labor talks that could take months to resolve.

TPG made its first investment in the airline industry in 1993 with Continental Airlines, which it helped turn around in the 1990s. TPG partner David Bonderman was chairman of Continental for a time. TPG was also a part of a consortium that tried to acquire Qantas Airways Ltd. but it didn't obtain the necessary shareholder approval for the deal in 2007.

TPG invested in America West International, which U.S. Airways Group Inc. acquired in 2005. TPG managing partner Richard Schifter was on the board of America West and was on the U.S. Airways board from 2005 to 2006.

TPG has past ties with American Airlines. In 2009, the private equity firm teamed up with AMR to possibly invest in Japan Airlines Corp. but the deal never came to fruition.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

And people thought that I was crazy. It just makes too much sense.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: Bigg Bird!!

Just a preemptive move to shake the waters.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Doesn't Get Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

So lets play like this actually happned. What would Delta have to give up to get approval from the DOJ? The only two markets I see a large DOJ issue with is JFK and LAX. Maybe MIA/ATL, but DAL could gain the SA stuff we need, get DFW back to create the 6 mega-hub strategy (NYC, ATL, DFW, DTW, SEA, LAX) and then cut a TON of domestic flying out of the system. Wouldn't be a good merger for anyone junior.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Happy to be here

Originally Posted by LittleBoyBlew View Post
Just a preemptive move to shake the waters.
Exactly but they also are one of the few that have the cash to do something. They do not want all of it, they just want a few items......
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Space Shuttle PIC

Originally Posted by RockyBoy View Post
So lets play like this actually happned. What would Delta have to give up to get approval from the DOJ? The only two markets I see a large DOJ issue with is JFK and LAX. Maybe MIA/ATL, but DAL could gain the SA stuff we need, get DFW back to create the 6 mega-hub strategy (NYC, ATL, DFW, DTW, SEA, LAX) and then cut a TON of domestic flying out of the system. Wouldn't be a good merger for anyone junior.
Huge retirement numbers eventually. Throw 5 year fences out there, and there would be huge numbers gone after those 5 years. USair would probably go after the Ohare stuff and LAX and JFK bases. Fun to think about, and that might be all that happens.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Happy to be here

If DFW is part of the deal I believe you are correct. SLC is gone, CVG is gone and MSP is gone. I said as much a few months ago.

It is not gloating it is trying to strategically plan on what the corporate titans are going to do with our careers and our airlines.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Underboob King

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Guppy Commander

i think itd be very bad for the regionals, Eagle to be exact. The regional domestic stuff would be the biggest hit as the shift to bigger domestic planes over RJ's moves forward. we'll see
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Space Shuttle PIC

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
If DFW is part of the deal I believe you are correct. SLC is gone, CVG is gone and MSP is gone. I said as much a few months ago.

It is not gloating it is trying to strategically plan on what the corporate titans are going to do with our careers and our airlines.
What about Ohare?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Happy to be here

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
i think itd be very bad for the regionals, Eagle to be exact. The regional domestic stuff would be the biggest hit as the shift to bigger domestic planes over RJ's moves forward. we'll see
If it is an asset sale. The AMR assets, and name are bought. AMR holdings survives by itself and Eagle and as a result is dissolved.

As for ORD, that would go to LCC or UCAL.