Hangered Aircraft Security

Subscribe
Question from a buddy of mine regarding a client of his:

For those high profile VIPs, is it possible or allowable to have security on an aircraft inside a hanger. Ofcourse this would be for the prevention of tampering, foul play, terrorism, etc. Are there any common policies or practices regarding this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Our leased hangar has security cameras. We also lock/alarm our aircraft whenever unattended in hangar. The security system on the plane has cameras also. We only share with one other aircraft, no transients. Our tail number is also blocked.

We employ our own full time security guy/driver and he comes on all International trips. He has a Special Forces/VIP background. If there is a question about security we talk it over with him and the destination host(s) and will simply repo if its the best thing to do. Luckily, none of this is an issue at 99.9% of our destinations anymore.

We wouldn't wear the goofy pilot uniforms at the questionable destinations. Discretion goes a long way. It is also not uncommon to hire local security to watch a plane on the ramp at some places...although you have to wonder who these local people really are.

I was never as concerned with airplane tampering as I was unattended luggage etc. Quite often there is a cast of thousands "helping" your passengers and the luggage gets scattered. Baggage usually arrives planeside before your pax. We line it all up on the ramp and have the security guy verify that they are all ours and were not tampered with before they go onboard. If no security guy we would wait for the pax to verify all bags. Planes have flown halfway around the world with a few bags onboard that were not supposed to be there.

A handful of easy SOPs should cover the vast majority of your concerns.