Advice for waiting on a Major Airline

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
I'm putting this in the MAJOR category since that is my end goal:

I am:
- separating from active duty military service after completing my commitment and my resume exceeds all of the current hiring mins at all companies
- ATP-MEL complete
- BS degree and military PME complete
- CFI/CFII/MEI current
- Married with kids

As I continue to update my resume and wait for hiring windows to open, what would be the best option to pursue should they call me?

1. Regional airline to get 121 experience(ex. Skywest is currently hiring)
2. Fractional(ex. Avantair is currently hiring)
3. Exercise my CFI at a local airport
4. Drop off resume at local airports and hope for Corporate gig

Obviously I don't want a break in employment and I desire to stay in the cockpit. I have no realistic job skill to fall back on other than aviation....where would I get the most bang for the buck???

No matter what your background and current job, I would appreciate your perspective........Thanks for your time!
I hate to say it, but as long as you have the jet command time, go get some 121 time. Probably not what your family wants. 10-12 days off and 30K or less. NOT attractive at all, I know but if you want to round out your resume, get some airline experience.

Another tip, so that the ex-military guys can really help you out can you list your times and experience in a little more depth?
My recommendation? From your list -

Seriously, seriously, consider joining the Reserve/ANG. The retirement program, and furlough protection, is worth it.
Quote: My recommendation? From your list -

Seriously, seriously, consider joining the Reserve/ANG. The retirement program, and furlough protection, is worth it.
Totally agree. I'd go for the AGN/rsv thing as priority 1. Then look for 121 stuff. Don't forget Atlas is hiring as well- that would go far above and beyond a regional in my book.
Quote: I hate to say it, but as long as you have the jet command time, go get some 121 time. Probably not what your family wants. 10-12 days off and 30K or less. NOT attractive at all, I know but if you want to round out your resume, get some airline experience.

Another tip, so that the ex-military guys can really help you out can you list your times and experience in a little more depth?
- C130 background
- 4300 TT
- 2300 Military Turbine PIC
- 1300 Military IP
- 5 months left on Active Duty and currently flying
Quote: Totally agree. I'd go for the AGN/rsv thing as priority 1. Then look for 121 stuff. Don't forget Atlas is hiring as well- that would go far above and beyond a regional in my book.
Really, REALLY good advice on all of his points. Get in the Guard/RSV first and then go out and get a heavy job. With your experience look for places like Omni, Kallita, Atlas, Ryan, etc. Not gem places to work, but probably better pay and schedules compared to a regional and certainly more valueable flight time. HAVE THE BACK UP PLAN FIRST! It's an 'effed up industry and you've got a family to look after.
What IF....
Thank you whack, slice, 80kts, I appreciate the insight. I have considered FTS/SELRES/AFRC/ANG, despite the fact that I am really tired of the deployments that seem to get longer in duration with no relief in sight, the non-vol 365's, IA's, etc…I am stopping right there (this wasn’t supposed to turn into a rant) I’ve paid my dues, now it’s time to give back to my family.

From doing research on this site it seems as though the Active Duty BS has crept into the RESERVE component as well, please correct me if I am wrong! I am not discounting the RES/ANG at all, just wondering what the best option is.....IF that dream scenario is presented and I have my choice of multiple offers.

Ultimately, I want to choose where I live and be able to see my family more often. Others out there reading this…..Please keep the feedback rolling….I know I am not the only one in this position! Many thanks to all.
"Time to give back to my family.."

Considering that I would be cautious when choosing an airline. Regional or Major. Commuting to your base/domicile will only take away from your family life. Get in airline job that has a base close to home or I'd steer clear. Atlas and similar jobs will potentially take you away from your faimly a month at a time and best case scenario 18 on 13 off.

Being military with plenty of fixed wing time you should have no problem going straight to a major airline. Just choose one with really good work rules if you plan on becoming a commuter and don't consider a regional unless you already live in a junior base.
Quote: "Time to give back to my family.."

Considering that I would be cautious when choosing an airline. Regional or Major. Commuting to your base/domicile will only take away from your family life. Get in airline job that has a base close to home or I'd steer clear. Atlas and similar jobs will potentially take you away from your faimly a month at a time and best case scenario 18 on 13 off.

Being military with plenty of fixed wing time you should have no problem going straight to a major airline. Just choose one with really good work rules if you plan on becoming a commuter and don't consider a regional unless you already live in a junior base.
^^^^^
This
Part of your decision should be where you want to settle down or live. I'd say if you were in the NYC/PHL area, McGuire Reserves are always on the lookout for quality prior-AMC guys, and it's a great backup and way to stay current...etc.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to