Search
Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA inspector thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 04:05 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2016

How quickly does it take to up the pay scale as a ASI GAO? like from FG-9 to FG-11
Old 07-22-2021, 08:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by SteakSauce View Post
How quickly does it take to up the pay scale as a ASI GAO? like from FG-9 to FG-11
If it's a developmental position, it could be a couple years, there's usually at least one automatic promotion in a developmental position if I remember correctly, I think it just depends on what it says it's developmental for, like 9 for 10 or 0 for 11. If it's not a developmental position, you are bound by normal HR rules and need a year in the previous grade or equivalent experience to apply for a job in the next grade. Most of us get to our positions by bidding (applying for) new positions. Sometimes we get put in temporary promotion positions that help us gain that experience for the higher grade, but most of the time those are also a bid. Another way you could get to a higher grade is if your assigned certificates decide to become more complex and add more aircraft/operations, this is similar to a temporary promotion, but it is only for a principal inspector and that usually takes at least a 12, usually a 13. IMO, 9 is too low for someone with significant aviation experience. It could be ok right out of college, but most people have a good deal of experience from one facet of aviation or another and can bring a lot to the agency. The idea to hire 9s came from a few years back, the idea was the "hire people out of college and train them right" thing, it was also out of desperation to fill positions and increase manpower. Then they kind of went the other way for the same reason (manning), hiring 12s and 13s with bonuses (step increases) with the ability to do local hiring pending putting all the paperwork through after the local decision. When the airlines are hiring, we are scraping the barrel.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Dumb Pilot

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: Broke

For those trying to get hired. I was hired and waited in the pool for 15 months until I give up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2021, 08:54 AM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by Is offline View Post
For those trying to get hired. I was hired and waited in the pool for 15 months until I give up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was that during COVID-19, when thousands were furloughed? They would have been brought back to their airlines ahead of any off the street hires with CJOs.

This fall, most airlines will have brought back all that were furlough and started bringing on those with CJOs, as well as massive hiring off the street.

Did you quit the race in sight of the finish line?
Old 07-31-2021, 04:15 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Before I go too far into this, is the string training done remotely now? My wife definitely won't let me off the hook of helping with the baby for multiple weeks/months.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by theonlyski View Post
Before I go too far into this, is the string training done remotely now? My wife definitely won't let me off the hook of helping with the baby for multiple weeks/months.
A good portion of it is right now. Will that continue? I have no idea. Initial flight training is in Texas (and is part of strings). That's probably only a week.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Default String

Originally Posted by theonlyski View Post
OKC classes are rumored to be starting up again in person but nothing moves fast in this agency. As for weeks/months away....if you can bring them along that’s one option. My wife and baby just joined me for the long 6 week session. Three kids later and the whole family now joins me on my work trips.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Is the OTS hiring still in play or is everything through USAjobs? If OTS is in play what is the expected timeline to get hired?
Old 08-15-2021, 04:51 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by CaptYoda View Post
Is the OTS hiring still in play or is everything through USAjobs? If OTS is in play what is the expected timeline to get hired?

I have no direct info, but their OTS page for ASIs was updated 2 days ago and still has it.
https://www.faa.gov/jobs/career_fiel...n_careers/asi/

Page last modified: August 13, 2021 2:04:14 PM EDT
Hopefully someone with direct knowledge can chime in on confirming that and the timeline as I am also interested.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

OTS is still available for Operations Inspectors. Contact the FSDO or CMO where you would like to work and see if they have openings. The timeline is dependent on if they have vacancies and where those vacancies fit in the overall picture. In some areas you could be brought on almost immediately, others you might be waiting a year.