Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
Why would the FAA care what a company puts in it's manual about how company employees interact while not aboard the aircraft? Once the the passengers are, deplaned, the logbook signed, the aircraft is powered down and transferred to the ground crews and the crew is in the terminal, walking away, why would the FAA care if the GOM instructs them to all hold hands to the hotel, or scatter to the 4 winds? The FAA has no compelling interest nor jurisdiction at that point.
The FAA does have a vested interest that crewmembers are in compliance, with their duties and responsibilities, I/A/W the Company’s GOM. Conversely, while not mandatory, unless so stated in the GOM, its up to the Captain, if they so desire, to ensure the rest of the crew is provided for. Personally, I’m the last one of the jet, boarding the crew van, and to check in at the hotel. Those new to the airline, or the industry observe my interaction with the cabin crew line training. Consideration, which does go both ways for the most part, goes a long way... that’s all. Nothing to get one’s knickers in a twist... wouldn’t you agree A Squared?

Last edited by captjns; 07-31-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
The FAA does have a vested interest that crewmembers are in compliance, with their duties and responsibilities, I/A/W the Company’s GOM.

Uh-huh, but as far as the FAA is concerned, their duties and responsibilities have ended when they are walking away from the airplane.

Suppose that an Airline submitted a GOM to the FAA which contained the statement that once the crew had left the airplane in accordance with their duties and responsibilities, the individuals were on their own recognizance as adults, and the captain had no authority over, or responsibility to them.

What possible basis would the FAA have for objection to that? What jurisdiction would the FAA even have for dictating internal HR policies during times when the crew is not operating the airplane?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Fairly local

Originally Posted by Grumbletrousers View Post
Which overnight?

ATW. filler
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post
ATW. filler
That hotel has gone downhill fast. That said, sorry to hear about that. It’s such a shame that many will try and do anything to help offline pilots, while a few just **** all that effort away.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016

The AA guys behind us in ORD today. Ground told us to hold and give way to two incoming aircraft. The AA guy behind us; "We dont stop in ORD you guys!"

We do when were told to give way to traffic you tool.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by StrykerB21 View Post
The AA guys behind us in ORD today. Ground told us to hold and give way to two incoming aircraft. The AA guy behind us; "We dont stop in ORD you guys!"

Oh brother. Slow day in the thread. 🙄
Old 08-02-2018, 04:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Cut them some slack. Maybe they got surprised with the stop when 99% of the RJ's usually pull away at +30kts driving like those little cars in a Shriner's parade.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice View Post
Oh brother. Slow day in the thread. 🙄
Key the mike and open your trap at your own peril...
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

I was taxiing in ORD once, and saw an AA737 haulin’ serious ass towards the intersection. I stoped, but my FO was trying to give me crap for stopping in ORD. He got a few words out when that 737 burned through the intersection like nobody else was around. At that point I calmly looked at the FO and told him that had I listened to him we might be on the news. Now that’s some TOTD stuff
Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Odd, usually AA guys are moving so slow you can’t tell I’d theyre stopped or not anyway