Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by jpso View Post
Performing my walk around the aircraft in ATL, no safety vest on because the aircraft doesn't have one and we don't have any extra available according to mx. Non-reving Delta FO boards while I'm outside, walks up front to tell the CA that I'm not wearing my safety vest.

This guy was the crown jewel of tools.
Were you up there when he told the ca? If so the totd level increases about tenfold...
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Chakerik View Post
Were you up there when he told the ca? If so the totd level increases about tenfold...

I dunno, the fact that he did it behind his back makes it worse for me
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Originally Posted by Silver02ex View Post
It's more of a distraction than anything else. By you doing that it's a going to make me (the PF) wonder "Should I be asking for flaps?" The great thing is the location of the flap lever doesn't move, so you won't have to go "looking for the handle" It's always in the same location on every flight.
Right. There is ZERO excuse for a very annoying habit like that.

Not only that, has anyone ever taught these folks that one should never touch the flap or gear handles unless they are being operated?! I mean, that’s private pilot basics.

Get your hand off the gear and the flap handle.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by symbian simian View Post
I don't just say "you fly" in the briefing, I try to make it clear during the flight that as long as we are not breaking the plane/rules, you can do what you want.
I say this in the complete spirit of honest communication and not the continuation of a routine online bicker: no matter what the internal justification in your head of why your hand is by the flap lever, it's probably coming across as the typical hand hover.

Also your justification is shaky at best, and I couldn't tell where seriousness ended and joking began. When he calls for the control, you simply look at it, put your hand on it, and move it. That's all there is to it. Same as any other time you push a button.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Originally Posted by vessbot View Post
I say this in the complete spirit of honest communication and not the continuation of a routine online bicker: no matter what the internal justification in your head of why your hand is by the flap lever, it's probably coming across as the typical hand hover.

Also your justification is shaky at best, and I couldn't tell where seriousness ended and joking began. When he calls for the control, you simply look at it, put your hand on it, and move it. That's all there is to it. Same as any other time you push a button.
Best point was made by whoever mentioned the simple fact that IF you need to place your hand on a lever to be able to recognize it without glasses, you need to be wearing your glasses.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Or just maybe he was trying to keep you out of trouble. City of Atlanta has past an ordinance that anyone on the ramp will have a safety vest on and those not in compliance will get a summons(whatever that means) if airport police see you without. Oddly enough, the HVC's that get run between gates in the Porches don't require them, nor do crews being run in the crew vans when running late. PS we don't like it either.

Originally Posted by jpso View Post
Performing my walk around the aircraft in ATL, no safety vest on because the aircraft doesn't have one and we don't have any extra available according to mx. Non-reving Delta FO boards while I'm outside, walks up front to tell the CA that I'm not wearing my safety vest.

This guy was the crown jewel of tools.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Originally Posted by NERD View Post
Or just maybe he was trying to keep you out of trouble. City of Atlanta has past an ordinance that anyone on the ramp will have a safety vest on and those not in compliance will get a summons(whatever that means) if airport police see you without. Oddly enough, the HVC's that get run between gates in the Porches don't require them, nor do crews being run in the crew vans when running late. PS we don't like it either.
I appreciate that you want to give your fellow Delta coworker the benefit of the doubt. But I’ll ask this, how would the average ATL DAL pilot react if that regional FO, when non refund, went up and told the Delta CA that the FO was not complying with a ramp requirement?

It is kind of known that DAL pilots feel they have super seniority on any regional Delta plane in and out of ATL. This kind of seems like another example of that.

In the end, just shut up and board the plane. It really is that simple.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Wind check!!!!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Wind check!!!!
Are you suggesting anyone asking for a wind check is a TOTD candidate?
Try yesterday in KDAL, when ATIS winds were something, but in reality they were something completely different. I asked for a wind check, twice, until they told me yeah looks like they are unreliable. We had a 20kts tailwind all the way down. They swapped runways after we landed.

So, I disagree wind check makes you a TOTD
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Are you suggesting anyone asking for a wind check is a TOTD candidate?
Try yesterday in KDAL, when ATIS winds were something, but in reality they were something completely different. I asked for a wind check, twice, until they told me yeah looks like they are unreliable. We had a 20kts tailwind all the way down. They swapped runways after we landed.

So, I disagree wind check makes you a TOTD
Why so serious?