Tool of the day

Subscribe
94  594  994  1044  1084  1090  1091  1092  1093  1094  1095  1096  1097  1098  1104  1144  1194 
Page 1094 of 1239
Go to
Quote: I don’t care about the number of words, but don’t they need to know your speed in order to figure out what they need and tell you that? Seems smarter to just answer the question rather than come back with another question. But, what do I know? ....... I monitor guard.

Yeah, this. The controller isn't asking you your speed because he's already decided what speed he wants you to maintain and he's reluctant to just come straight out and ask you to maintain it. Controllers are actually pretty good at not asking pointless questions merely as a conversational gambit. He's asking for your speed because it's information he needs, and by not giving him that information he just asked for, you're wasting his time and demonstrating that you don't quite grasp the concept.
Quote: LAHSO isn’t just for intersecting runways. ATL has LAHSO hold lines near the end of some of their runways so they can legally cross aircraft at the end of the runway with landing traffic still on the runway. Not sure how often they use them, but they’re there.
Was just about to say this. To add, often it's the very last taxiway before the end of the pavement so if you miss that intersection, you're in the dirt. Never understood the point of refusing that sort of LAHSO. Controller might as well ask "hey Spirit, can you be assured you won't go off the end of the runway?" I guess when you refuse you're saying "Nope. Not a guarantee."

Oh well. Not in your ops specs, it's not in your ops specs.
Quote: Was just about to say this. To add, often it's the very last taxiway before the end of the pavement so if you miss that intersection, you're in the dirt. Never understood the point of refusing that sort of LAHSO. Controller might as well ask "hey Spirit, can you be assured you won't go off the end of the runway?" I guess when you refuse you're saying "Nope. Not a guarantee."

Oh well. Not in your ops specs, it's not in your ops specs.

Meh, I get what you're saying from a practical standpoint, but right or wrong, the legalities of Airline flying aren't about "practical" they're about black and white. Either you're trained and approved for LAHSO operations, or your not. If you're not, then ATC has to give you clear runway full length for landing. There really aren't any grey areas there. Would you accept a LAHSO clearance if you weren't approved for it? I wouldn't.
Quote: Yeah, this. The controller isn't asking you your speed because he's already decided what speed he wants you to maintain and he's reluctant to just come straight out and ask you to maintain it. Controllers are actually pretty good at not asking pointless questions merely as a conversational gambit. He's asking for your speed because it's information he needs, and by not giving him that information he just asked for, you're wasting his time and demonstrating that you don't quite grasp the concept.
Exactly right, A Squared. The controller is asking the question because he needs to adjust either your speed or somebody else's. All he sees are groundspeeds. He has no idea what those translate to in IAS or Mach in your cockpit, and therefore doesn't know yet "what he wants." Maybe someday it will be permissible for a controller to assign groundspeeds. Until then, he needs an answer to the explicit question he asked. Several toolish responses in this thread.
These are valid criticisms of "what do you need" by itself, but I've never heard it by itself, only in conjunction with stating the speed as asked. Does this really exist in the wild?
Quote: When ATC asks for your Mach or Airspeed stop responding with, “What do you need?” They’ll tell you if they need something different. The rest if us don’t need to hear four more unnecessary words because you think it’s cool to respond with that ridiculous phrase.
At the risk of nominating myself yet again, I have answered “.75, what do you want?”, mostly to say I am flexible on the whole speed issue, as opposed to:”we are doing .76 due to turbulence” or something like that.
Let’s switch to “all traffic please advise.”
Only when taking the active.
Quote: Let’s switch to “all traffic please advise.”
Some airlines have that enshrined in FOM because there are a bunch of dumbass pilots out there who won’t make a call unless prompted
This last page is ludicrous.
94  594  994  1044  1084  1090  1091  1092  1093  1094  1095  1096  1097  1098  1104  1144  1194 
Page 1094 of 1239
Go to