Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Southwest FO

God help me, I can't resist. The Captain who needs to borrow a buck from you (all he has is 20s) for the crew van tip- while you're on first year pay- and conveniently forgets to pay you back. Only happened once but I sure felt like a tool for needing/wanting that buck back. Never did ask him for it over the next 3 days...

Anti-tool anecdote: I really appreciated the handful of Captains who did decipher that I was on 1st year pay and offered to buy my dinner (or beer) on layovers. If I ever make Captain, I will remember those gentlemen.

Stetson20

Last edited by Stetson20; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: removed attempted bold font
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Southwest FO

The pilot who was wearing long sleeve thermal underwear under his short sleeve pilot shirt. Nice grunge look, dude.

The passenger who demands directions- in whatever airport I happen to be- to gate XX. I don't mind helping, but you'll get a finger pointed at the departure board, followed shortly by my back as I walk away.

The surly food "service" anywhere on C or D concourse in ATL.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Banned

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Stetson20 View Post
God help me, I can't resist. The Captain who needs to borrow a buck from you (all he has is 20s) for the crew van tip- while you're on first year pay- and conveniently forgets to pay you back. Only happened once but I sure felt like a tool for needing/wanting that buck back. Never did ask him for it over the next 3 days...

Anti-tool anecdote: I really appreciated the handful of Captains who did decipher that I was on 1st year pay and offered to buy my dinner (or beer) on layovers. If I ever make Captain, I will remember those gentlemen.

Stetson20
A captain who makes 30% more than you (at least) wanted to borrow a buck?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by hickspilot View Post
A captain who makes 30% more than you (at least) wanted to borrow a buck?
+1

Rick McC. from ACY, you owed me 3 bucks....and complains that he could not break 200K last year. Unreal.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
+1

Rick McC. from ACY, you owed me 3 bucks....and complains that he could not break 200K last year. Unreal.
Its all relative. If you cant live within your means making 200k you may either be a poor manager of money your on your third wife with child support payments.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by Stetson20 View Post
There is an unwritten rule at SWA that the Captain must pay for all cocktails during your probationary year. It is pretty much universally followed. My first year I only had 1 Captain not pay for my drinks and I think he just didn't realize I was still a probie because it was very near the end of my first year. The majority would not let me pay for anything including food at the layover or between legs on a food run that first year. It is a great tradition and really made the first year pay cut a little easier to handle since you pocketed virtually all your per diem. I will be happy to pay it forward when I upgrade (if that ever happens).
Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shoelu View Post
There is an unwritten rule at SWA that the Captain must pay for all cocktails during your probationary year. It is pretty much universally followed. My first year I only had 1 Captain not pay for my drinks and I think he just didn't realize I was still a probie because it was very near the end of my first year. The majority would not let me pay for anything including food at the layover or between legs on a food run that first year. It is a great tradition and really made the first year pay cut a little easier to handle since you pocketed virtually all your per diem. I will be happy to pay it forward when I upgrade (if that ever happens).
I would say there is a good chance this is true. My father is a captain at american and hes told me on plenty of occasions hes paid for the entire crews meal before.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Guppy Capt.

Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
+1

Ahhhhh, Rick. A real pleasure...
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

This is same CA as I posted about before in this thread.

Im the Non Flying Pilot, CA flying the leg.

Tower: "Colgan XXXX start your base turn now"

Me; "We're starting the base turn now, Colgan XXXX"

Captain looks over at me, says "we?" "How about me, your boss, your Captain is starting the turn now"

I absolutely hate this guy

Last edited by Milk Man; 05-07-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
This is same CA as I posted about before in this thread.

Im the Non Flying Pilot, CA flying the leg.

Im just checking in with tower.

Tower: "Colgan XXXX start your base turn now"

Me; "We're starting the base turn now, Colgan XXXX"

Captain looks over at me, says "we?" "How about me, your boss, your Captain is starting the turn now"

I absolutely hate this guy
Did he seriously critique on this contradiction of terms?