Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by captjns View Post
What do you do during a turn. shut the jet down, find a office with a fax... review the paperwork?

Technology is light years beyond from the ‘70s. Flight plan and aircraft status is sent via email. We can access the same on the iPad too. It takes the same time be it in the car, operations, flight deck to decide on fuel, route modification due weather, etc.

Is it really necessary to waste the time walking 5 miles to Dispatch then walking another 10 miles to the jet?

The trusty mobile phone can put me in contact with Dispatch should the need arise. After all M5000, they have more important tasks at hand rather than taking to you when they don’t need to.

Report back to this forum, after you’ve gained some experience, and report your views on this matter.
I think M5000 was agreeing with you that, in this day and age and with the tools we have available, meeting in ops/planning room is a waste of time.

Domestic? I'll see you at the gate. But I show up in the planning area at report time for an international flight because that's what we are supposed to do. Half the time, the other guys have already been there for an hour and have already done everything (not that theres much to do anymore). All that's left is to figure out who's doing what, talk about any special/significant issues and sign the release. The last remaining advantage to the planning room vs meeting at the gate (besides tradition) was a large flat place to fill out the orientation chart. But now that's on the tablet too.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Strike averted!

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: B737

Is this a military crossover? Not a slam btw.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Obviously M5000's comment was based on a situation where it's normal to meet in ops. (Whether it's normal for that airline, or because it's international, or whatever.) In that case, one guy leaving the other sitting on his thumb, in the dark, does not follow the golden rule.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: 737 FO

Not sure where M5000 works but based on his comments I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s UAL. At UAL it is written in the FOM that the first flight of the pairing the crew SHOULD meet in ops. This was a big cultural difference between the 2 legacy carriers. At one they always met at the airplane, and at the other always in ops (Again for the first flight of the pairing only). It still causes debate in which way is better. I came after the merger and have no dog in the fight but it is written in the FOM so I go to ops. It used to be a little annoying when you would be sitting there waiting and then find out the guy just went to the airplane and it sounds like that’s what M5000 is getting at. After a little while you get a feel for which guys will show up in ops based on the domicile.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
.......was a large flat place to fill out the orientation chart. But now that's on the tablet too.
I'm stuck on "orientation chart". Never heard of it.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I'm stuck on "orientation chart". Never heard of it.
Well I work at Big D so it's most likely a tool and procedure most airlines abandoned years ago. I think its supposed to help you find Interstare 80 when you get to 30 west? I'm one of those oddballs that dont care to do too much international flying therefore a little foggy on the details.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by MiLa View Post
Not sure where M5000 works but based on his comments I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s UAL. At UAL it is written in the FOM that the first flight of the pairing the crew SHOULD meet in ops. This was a big cultural difference between the 2 legacy carriers. At one they always met at the airplane, and at the other always in ops (Again for the first flight of the pairing only). It still causes debate in which way is better. I came after the merger and have no dog in the fight but it is written in the FOM so I go to ops. It used to be a little annoying when you would be sitting there waiting and then find out the guy just went to the airplane and it sounds like that’s what M5000 is getting at. After a little while you get a feel for which guys will show up in ops based on the domicile.

Exactly.

Just don’t leave people hanging.

Recently watched a new hire FO get left hanging by the capt. The ops people overheard him asking another capt if he knew the capt, Because he was searching for him. Ended up with phone calls, that the FO didn’t intend to happen, and he looked a bit uncomfortable, probably because he thought the capt would get in trouble. Nobody in trouble or anything but the FO was new and figuring out the swing of things.

An easily sent email from the PM app seems to work well. Something like:

Hi xxxxx,
I’m scheduled to fly with you tomorrow. I occasionally run into some unforeseen traffic on my way in. How about we meet at the gate, just to ensure our operational integrity? Let me know what you think. Feel free to reply to this email, or feel free to text direct to xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks,
Xxxxx Xxxxx
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by M5000 View Post
Exactly.

Just don’t leave people hanging.

Recently watched a new hire FO get left hanging by the capt. The ops people overheard him asking another capt if he knew the capt, Because he was searching for him. Ended up with phone calls, that the FO didn’t intend to happen, and he looked a bit uncomfortable, probably because he thought the capt would get in trouble. Nobody in trouble or anything but the FO was new and figuring out the swing of things.

An easily sent email from the PM app seems to work well. Something like:

Hi xxxxx,
I’m scheduled to fly with you tomorrow. I occasionally run into some unforeseen traffic on my way in. How about we meet at the gate, just to ensure our operational integrity? Let me know what you think. Feel free to reply to this email, or feel free to text direct to xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks,
Xxxxx Xxxxx
Good technique. However, those who still refuse to show up in ops are flagrantly flaunting the policy at this point. As a matter of fact, the definition of “should” was changed several months ago to say that unless there is a compelling reason not to, this is how it’s done. As a Cap, I’ll always swing by ops, and if no f/o an hour prior, I’ll head to the jet. No biggie. But just know that the definition of “should” is not as liberal as it used to be in case a Captain were to insist on it.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by captjns View Post

Report back to this forum, after you’ve gained some experience, and report your views on this matter.

Meeting in ops may or may not be necessary, but if your company policies require you to meet in ops on the first flight of a pairing, and you blow that off without any attempt to communicate that to the other guy, then yeah, I have to agree with M5000 that it's inconsiderate behavior. That's just a basic courtesy thing that transcends someone's level of aviation experience.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by A Squared View Post
Meeting in ops may or may not be necessary, but if your company policies require you to meet in ops on the first flight of a pairing, and you blow that off without any attempt to communicate that to the other guy, then yeah, I have to agree with M5000 that it's inconsiderate behavior. That's just a basic courtesy thing that transcends someone's level of aviation experience.
I agree 100%. If not, then gate works just fine... even better the closest java joint to the gate.