Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by CafeConLeche View Post
Nope, this actually happened. And thanks I’ll consider myself called out. What happened has nothing to do with United except for the fact he was a United captain. I’m sorry you took this as a United bashing story because that’s not what it was. Every company has their old balls and this guy happened to be one that day. Come on over maybe a hug will make you feel better.
Those balls may be old, but each wrinkle has a story so you should treasure those plastic wings!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Silver02ex View Post
That annoy me just as much as when, after introducing myself to the CA and asking for a ride. I'll turn to the FO to shake his/her hand but they never turn around to acknowledge that I'm there.
It shouldn't annoy you as much since the FO is not the one asking for the ride, you are.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by TheWeatherman View Post
It shouldn't annoy you as much since the FO is not the one asking for the ride, you are.
The second part of your sentence is not connected to the first. Saying hello and shaking hands when meeting is a basic part of human courtesy, not a scorekeeping mark of who's asking whose boss for a favor.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by vessbot View Post
The second part of your sentence is not connected to the first. Saying hello and shaking hands when meeting is a basic part of human courtesy, not a scorekeeping mark of who's asking whose boss for a favor.
And your reply has nothing to do with the point of my post. I did not disagree with the first part of your second sentence. As for the second part of your second sentence,the onus is on the jumpseater not the crew. Did you ever think the FO might be busy? The same can’t be said for the jumpseater asking for a ride. Next time I’ll number and letter each line like a court document or a Congrssional Bill so we can start dissecting every post down to the meaning of each word.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 PM
On Guard!

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Sky-Envoy-PS-Go-Mesa-blah-blah-blah

In the end, just about every pilot there is going to eventually be working for one of the big ones, so who really cares.
"Thanks for flying Delta, American, United.........have a nice day."
Fair enough - with all name changes it hard to keep up with. Even ATC isn’t sure if it’s Envoy or Endeavor most days.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

I nominate the mainline CA that felt the need to explain to me his glorious plan to solve the RJ problem. Basically RJ captains should agree to a 50% pay cut in exchange for a preferential interview at the Major along with rj flying brought to mainline. If selected for a position at the major, I would have a choice of keeping my rj seat at the appropriate mainline pay scale or a permanent seat lock as a narrow body FO.

It’s “something I should really think about, because it’s better than anything I could hope for at my current job”. I honestly have no clue if he was just ****ing with me to get a rise outta me or if he was dead serious. I’m pretty good at tuning out all the vacuous ****heads I encounter every day, but we were both deadheading on the same flight and jockeying for position in the boarding area.🙄🙄
Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320

Originally Posted by Rahlifer View Post
I nominate the mainline CA that felt the need to explain to me his glorious plan to solve the RJ problem. Basically RJ captains should agree to a 50% pay cut in exchange for a preferential interview at the Major along with rj flying brought to mainline. If selected for a position at the major, I would have a choice of keeping my rj seat at the appropriate mainline pay scale or a permanent seat lock as a narrow body FO.

It’s “something I should really think about, because it’s better than anything I could hope for at my current job”. I honestly have no clue if he was just ****ing with me to get a rise outta me or if he was dead serious. I’m pretty good at tuning out all the vacuous ****heads I encounter every day, but we were both deadheading on the same flight and jockeying for position in the boarding area.🙄🙄
Interesting take from someone with your screen name.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Some mainline guys are so out of touch it was their greed that created the regionals....
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

It’s “something I should really think about, because it’s better than anything I could hope for at my current job”. I honestly have no clue if he was just ****ing with me to get a rise outta me or if he was dead serious. I’m pretty good at tuning out all the vacuous ****heads I encounter every day, but we were both deadheading on the same flight and jockeying for position in the boarding area.����
Fortunately for you, nobody cares about his hare-brained scheme.

In the next few years, many will get hired. Regionals may shrink, this can be mitigated by regional pay raises and fast-track, sponsored pilot training programs.

But I don't think regionals are going away, or getting brought into mainline, for several good reasons.

- If you bring the planes AND the pilots, the you are open to an Mcaskill-Bond SLI. Mainline doesn't want the disruption and mainline unions don't want to have to fight for their seats against RJ lifers. Unless you can get the RJ group to voluntarily sign a staple deal with RJ CA fences (the lifers won't).

- Management knows that the pilot shortage and the good economy will most likely end some day. They would like to preserve the regional model intact, so they can benefit from it in the future. Even if regionals get expensive in the short term... the good news (for management) is that they don't need BK to claw back regional raises, just resume the whipsaw as soon as market conditions permit.

- Mainline also uses the regionals as a farm league. They can somewhat mitigate liability exposure by keeping the noobs on the smaller planes. Colgan and Comair would have cost a whole lot more if those had been narrowbodies (or widebodies ).

- Mainline unions like the regional system too... despite a few RJ SJW types most mainline pilots know that they can get paid more because RJ pilots get paid less. As long as you have appropriate scope. Hard cold fact.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Sky-Envoy-PS-Go-Mesa-blah-blah-blah

In the end, just about every pilot there is going to eventually be working for one of the big ones, so who really cares.
"Thanks for flying Delta, American, United.........have a nice day."
Except if it’s on the WO or even PO (partially owned) one, god forbid the CA/FO/FA leave out the “Connection/Eagle/Express” part.

Lest the commuting/DH’ing pilot in back come up and give a stern/condescending lecture that they are NOT Delta, American, United....

And YES, in all my time there, I’m FULLY AWARE of what was to be said.

Since this is where the thread went, I nominate a tool from over 15 years ago. Was on a DH, in the window, mainline pilot in the aisle, revenue passenger in the middle. Passenger chatted with the mainline pilot most of the flight. After landing and taxiing in, she sees an RJ go by and asks “do those pilots make decent money?” His response, “they’re not real pilots”.

And now, on occasion, I get to work with those kinds of tools....

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
But I don't think regionals are going away, or getting brought into mainline, for several good reasons.

- If you bring the planes AND the pilots, the you are open to an Mcaskill-Bond SLI. Mainline doesn't want the disruption and mainline unions don't want to have to fight for their seats against RJ lifers. Unless you can get the RJ group to voluntarily sign a staple deal with RJ CA fences (the lifers won't).
True

- Management knows that the pilot shortage and the good economy will most likely end some day. They would like to preserve the regional model intact, so they can benefit from it in the future. Even if regionals get expensive in the short term... the good news (for management) is that they don't need BK to claw back regional raises, just resume the whipsaw as soon as market conditions permit.
Also true, keep preachin’ brother

- Mainline also uses the regionals as a farm league. They can somewhat mitigate liability exposure by keeping the noobs on the smaller planes. Colgan and Comair would have cost a whole lot more if those had been narrowbodies (or widebodies ).
What’s the opposite of false, TRUE!!!!!

- Mainline unions like the regional system too... despite a few RJ SJW types most mainline pilots know that they can get paid more because RJ pilots get paid less. As long as you have appropriate scope. Hard cold fact.
DING DING DING!!!!!!!

Although it’s a smaller line item, the RJ feed helps. As was used for scope relaxation in tne 90’s and has continued, those high yield widebody planes going to int’l places don’t just fill up themselves on O/D traffic.

Doesn’t matter if it’s the tiny (relatively) PS I get or the fat one a DAL guy gets, a portion of that was born on the backs of the B-/C scale wage RJ feed.

Last edited by John Carr; 03-20-2019 at 09:17 AM.