Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014

I'd like to nominate the regional FO I saw sitting in the crew room (presumably on airport reserve) who had his laptop and joystick set up, and was doing a MS Flight Simulator version of one of the routes we do in the real world.

Making it even weirder, I'm pretty sure he was doing this for a "virtual airline", so he was simulating being at work, while he was actually being paid to sit and do nothing at work.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by cactusflyer View Post
I'd like to nominate the regional FO I saw sitting in the crew room (presumably on airport reserve) who had his laptop and joystick set up, and was doing a MS Flight Simulator version of one of the routes we do in the real world.

Making it even weirder, I'm pretty sure he was doing this for a "virtual airline", so he was simulating being at work, while he was actually being paid to sit and do nothing at work.
Geeky for sure, but I don’t see it as toolish. He’s away from public view and farting around on on a flight sim while stuck sitting around the airport anyways. I don’t see how it’s really bothering anyone.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Originally Posted by WhaleSurfing View Post
To the UAL pilot jumpseating (LAS-DEN) this weekend in his F-Teener jumpsuit with “AirBoss” emblazoned all over it.

Tells gate agent he “must” board early to speak with the captain and then proceeds to tell the crew he “will” be riding with us and sitting in the back. In 35 years of flying this douche bag takes the cake as far as jumpseaters go. Must be auditioning for Top Gun II. Frigging jerk!
%*+# that! Please tell me you guys didn’t take him. First for his attire and second for his attitude. He’d be taking the next flight if he tried to pull that with me even IF there was room in the back. Sounds like he needs a solid slap in the face to knock some humility into him.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by cactusflyer View Post

Would that be a 117 violation? On the other hand I’ll cut him slack, he’s making virtual airline money, not making worthless posts on APC.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by trip View Post
Would that be a 117 violation? On the other hand I’ll cut him slack, he’s making virtual airline money, not making worthless posts on APC.
I wonder if that world has a virtual APC.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by vessbot View Post
I wonder if that world has a virtual APC.
STOP! It might also have a virtual TOTD thread??? Best not to go down this rabbit hole, move along.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by trip View Post
I was having A drink and watching YouTube the other night. I decided to see if youngsters were still playing flight sim. I assumed that world would have all but died. Boy was I wrong! Search xplane 11 and vatsim. Live act, Metering, ground, tower, vhf, hf, nat hla, lnav, vnav, Ian, fms, Cost index, ENG-OUT buttons, proper FMAS, it’s all there! ****ing amazing! Some of the teens doing how to videos were better than indoc instructors!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

Originally Posted by WhaleSurfing View Post
To the UAL pilot jumpseating (LAS-DEN) this weekend in his F-Teener jumpsuit with “AirBoss” emblazoned all over it.
That guy sounds like a poser in some kind of party suit. Any military pilot who entered the squadron area wearing a “jumpsuit with ‘AirBoss’ emblazoned all over it” would be scoffed into a grease spot.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by Rahlifer View Post
Geeky for sure, but I don’t see it as toolish. He’s away from public view and farting around on on a flight sim while stuck sitting around the airport anyways. I don’t see how it’s really bothering anyone.

Yup, this. I think "Virtual Airlines" are dorky beyond description, but you know what?, He ain't bothering anyone. Calling him a "tool" because his choice of time-waster doesn't meet with your approval is ... well ... toolish.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Na, hes a tool.

If he couldent understand the optics of how that looked... then hes going to have an interesting career.