Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Top

The guy who refused to pick up on any of my attempts to shift the conversation away from politics, then got mad when I crushed him like a bug.

Don't climb in the ring if you aren't willing to take a few hits.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

TOTD: The Delta pilot that was flying over Canada and calling "Edmonton Radio" on 126.7. That's the general traffic frequency dude

Maybe invest in a Canadian lo chart. Edmonton radio (along with any other radio station, be it Winnipeg, Atlantic, Gander, whoever) does not usually monitor and answer on 6.7 anymore, and you're tying up the frequency for traffic that are flying in uncontrolled airspace (which is 90% of airspace here in Canada). You can find FIC frequency's on charts.

It's not the first time I've heard this happen either
Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 AM
Holds Weds & Thurs Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: 88B

I'm not totally sure if this Tool material exactly but I have 2 new pet peeves that I need to vent...

1) CAs who routinely ride the brakes during taxi, only because they forgot that they left the power up from 10 seconds ago. Both to maintain taxi speed and to stop... the power's still at 30-50%. One instance I can remember I received the ten second cold hard stare for moving it back to idle... while slowing to a stop. I'm not sure what to think now.

2) Crews who loudly smack their gum chewing over the intercom. Every leg, same phase, same flavor, the gum comes out. I get it, that's your thing, whatever. But if you complain about me not hearing you 100% of the time it's because I turned your volume wayyyyy down a leg after you didn't get my subtle hint "I'm going to turn your intercom off while you chew gum." I'm not ignoring you, I'm trying to maintain my sanity.

3) I know I said 2 but the venting is stirring up awful memories. TOTD, the crew member who gave an awesome inflight passenger briefing to a very full cabin concerning eta, weather, gate info, etc. Well it was 0600 (0525 departure), still not quite dawn yet, and a 200nm flight, as in the weather isn't worth mentioning because it's exactly the same. Dude... let em sleep.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

What's the deal with pilots who wash their uniform shirts at water temperatures colder than 38 degrees Centigrade???

Only a tool wouldn't know that the optimum water temperature for cleaning an approved "aviation white" dress shirt is in the range of 46-57 degree Centigrade.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by FrankCobretti View Post
The guy who refused to pick up on any of my attempts to shift the conversation away from politics, then got mad when I crushed him like a bug.

Don't climb in the ring if you aren't willing to take a few hits.
Worse IMO - CA won't let you read. Then, dominates the conversation with marriage issues, or talk about his motorcycle, or bragging on his kids. Sorry, I just don't care where little Johnny goes to college, and nowhere in the job description is "Keep the CA entertained for 5 hours with sparkling conversation."

My not-so-subtle hint of staring out the side window in total silence for as long as possible to avoid his droning voice doesn't work.

Sometimes, the conversational chemistry just isn't there. If that's the case, at least let me discreetly read a USA Today in cruise.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

I have two to add from yesterday. The southwest crew in msy that was about 1000 agl on a 1/2 mile final to 19. Asking for S turns. Little too late for that. Finally a Delta professional observing this stellar display of airmanship, had to key the mic and say "just go-around southwest". And second, to the comair crew in a unnamed capital city that would not hold the van for 5 mins for a Delta crew. Jokes on you dumb****. Hope you enjoyed your 3am phone call.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: 757 Capt

Originally Posted by PermaFo View Post
I'm not totally sure if this Tool material exactly but I have 2 new pet peeves that I need to vent...

3) I know I said 2 but the venting is stirring up awful memories. TOTD, the crew member who gave an awesome inflight passenger briefing to a very full cabin concerning eta, weather, gate info, etc. Well it was 0600 (0525 departure), still not quite dawn yet, and a 200nm flight, as in the weather isn't worth mentioning because it's exactly the same. Dude... let em sleep.
I nominate pretty much 90% of all PA's from both the cockpit and the FA's. Be quiet already.

And I also nominate every FA in the industry who makes their da*n announcements at ear-splitting volume.

PIPE
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

I nominate Isaac Newton for inventing gravity....Thanks for screwing up all of my landings jag off!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Capt

He who doesnt know the diffrence between grilling and bbqing. Oh and Memphites who ruin meat by drowning it in sauce. Dry rub people dry rub.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 1st year pay for the 3rd time

Originally Posted by KIGONYE View Post
He who doesnt know the diffrence between grilling and bbqing. Oh and Memphites who ruin meat by drowning it in sauce. Dry rub people dry rub.
While I appreciate a good dry rub I love a good sauce.

P.S. Don't put the sauce on too early, sugar burns.

TC