Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm a man of my word.

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
By upside down, do you mean wide end toward the neck? Or the seam on the top?
Believe it or not, I've seen a guy (AA FO) with the wide end towards his neck on one side and the entire epaulet turned inside out and the seam on top on the other. That jumpseat ride was excruciating, my need for symmetry was driving me nuts
Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: CFIT cannot be logged as a landing?!

Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
By upside down, do you mean wide end toward the neck? Or the seam on the top?
Seam on top.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Upright

Originally Posted by CaptainCarl View Post
Believe it or not, I've seen a guy (AA FO) with the wide end towards his neck on one side and the entire epaulet turned inside out and the seam on top on the other. That jumpseat ride was excruciating, my need for symmetry was driving me nuts
In '04 I saw a USAir FO who had captains bars with one stripe drawn over with a Sharpie. I am NOT nominating him for tool of the day. I thought it was a pretty good statement since everyone on the property at the time had been a captain.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2012

Don't get me started...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2010

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger7 View Post
Don't get me started...

I thought honey badger don't care?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by captain beefy View Post
i thought honey badger don't care?
hilarious!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Position: DHC-8 FO

Most of the time its wide side toward the neck. Drives me crazy when a thirty year captain who insists on wearing a hat(not required where i work) but has his epaulets on backwards.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat

Tool:

The captain (small "c") who refused to take another 2 minute delay to get a jumpseater on board. We were already delayed 2 minutes, what would the extra 2 minutes have cost?

Is it just me, or do *some* captains who live in base not seem to care about commuters?

Cool:

The Captain (big "C") I had 2 weeks ago, who told the very irritated gate agent that the door wouldn't be closing unless the commuting Delta FA was on board.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Doing what you do, for less.

Originally Posted by Senior Skipper View Post
Tool:

The captain (small "c") who refused to take another 2 minute delay to get a jumpseater on board. We were already delayed 2 minutes, what would the extra 2 minutes have cost?

Is it just me, or do *some* captains who live in base not seem to care about commuters?

Cool:

The Captain (big "C") I had 2 weeks ago, who told the very irritated gate agent that the door wouldn't be closing unless the commuting Delta FA was on board.
Its not that they don't care, its that commuters affect lots of other people around them with their own personal commuting problems, often negatively. Delaying flights, flying recklessly or ignoring mx issues to get back half an hour early to catch a flight, dropping the entire post-flight on other crewmembers so they can run to a flight, pushing their commute in, not making it, and having reserves get called out to cover their screw up, etc.

Then theres the more broad influence of commuting on those who do not through how they influence schedule construction, work rules, negotiating capital, etc... all of which often directly take away from what those who live in base have. Many of those who live in base aren't there because of luck. They're there because they made the decision to make the sacrifice, uproot their family, and move. They made a compromise in their life to make it happen.

I've been on both sides of the issue and find it appalling how much commuters influence others around them negatively with their own self-created problems/issues. When commuting, I always make sure I keep it to myself and do it within my means. That attitude has caused me a few less nights at home and a few wasted hours sitting in an airport, but it is the respectful and reasonable way to act. For the others, I am sympathetic to your problem, but honestly, it is YOUR problem, not mine.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: erb
Default Tool.

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
Right there is some scary knowledge, Herman!

GF
Thanks GF. Before the baby came, AngryPilotWife and me had a fairly respectable military antiques collection. I think at one point we actually owned every item depicted here, including his tunic. It was just an investment hobby for us but, there is ALOT of money for Major dealers/collectors of rare military items (big guys are mostly in CA today) and fakes abound. Anyway, I'm still a tool... ps boomer was right about the rodeo belt buckle...how the hell could i have mist it? Cheers H