Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Probably been done before but it still drives me nuts. Mid-field right down wind vector...

Me, "You got the airport?".

Him, "Yup."

Me, click, "If it helps, we got the field."

Approach, "Cleared to land."

5000'. 250 knots for the next 14 miles! Just like the chart...with me squirming like a toad. ZERO attempt to configure, slow, trim 15 or so miles off the pattern, by turning say...a 5 mille final? If I wanted it done differently I guess I should have said so. Does that make me the tool?
At least you asked. Big pet peeve when the PM calls the airport in sight without checking with the PF first. It's not just the visual, you are now responsible for traffic as well. Same goes with calling other traffic on a parallel landing runway. I always check with the PF first before I tell the tower something. Recently I had a guy call traffic without asking and as it turned out it was the wrong traffic. What's the hurry? Let ATC separate and slow you down.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 767 Pilot

^^ This is the philosophy we had at my previous 121 carrier. On IOE at my current carrier, the CA (PF) said he had the field, but I didn't see it yet. It was a new field to me and it was dark. So I didn't call it until later. He griped at me for not calling it in sight and said who cares if PM doesn't see it. So was I a tool or not? Then later he said I was on the verge of having a bad attitude...umm what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 PM
You scratched my anchor

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I was flying was a centerline nazi the day. I'm getting lined up for a visual in a pretty stiff crosswind. "You're off centerline" (still 3 miles out). Next landing same thing. If I was it was less than a quarter dot. 3rd landing at night. Nose wheel touches down on the turtles, because that's what I can see..."Umm you need to get centerline." Gee thanks.

Maybe why he's still flying an RJ?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2012

PNF's (Capt's in my case) who armchair quarterback and insist on the flying being done their way. Want to fly the plane? Just ask... I love handing it over to them when they're being a pain. It sure gets to them when I ask "do you want to fly it?" And hand it over without arguing or awaiting a response. Hell I'd rather do paperwork/radios and take it easy anyways.

Want to raise the gear, etc.. when only you see positive rate without my call outs? Ok...lets see how you feel when I do the same. God forbid we do something without your almighty call out and make you have a hissy fit.

Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you

I feel better now! Add one to my no-fly list lol

Old 01-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by eman View Post
Also those that leave all their cockpit lighting bright while flying at night...gee thanks for the headaches and blinding light. No wonder you're f'in blind! Gives me more reason to stare out the window and ignore you
Hey most guys flying long stages at night prefer the lights on. It beats nodding off and falling asleep (without at least letting the other guy know!) due to the dark cockpit on an allnighter.

That said, I don't mind a dark cockpit either--I enjoy the view. I can "go with the flow" and don't have a hangup either way. My point is that not everyone wanting the lights on at night is a "tool." In fact for international flying I would say that is the norm.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Herkflyr View Post
Hey most guys flying long stages at night prefer the lights on. It beats nodding off and falling asleep (without at least letting the other guy know!) due to the dark cockpit on an allnighter.

I hear ya. I just put on my shades and then they can't tell what I'm up to. To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol

Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Da Hudge

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer

I hear ya. I just put on my shades and then they can't tell what I'm up to. To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol

I find it's particularly rare for someone to not have the dome/thunderstorm lights on at night on transcons/long flights at night.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 127.0.0.1

To each his own, do they make blinders like what horses wear for pilots? Lol
Put on a pair of Foggles.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: A350 Captain (RET)

You seem to be an inexperienced low time First Officer with very little exposure to flying longer segments.

I have a little over 36 years of 121 flying and have spent a lot of my career flying over oceans with 4 motors. I can count on ONE hand the number of pilots that prefer to run dark.

Fly safe,

OC
Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Tool of the day

Lol love this board. Fly safe too buddy, to each his own! I like that line "run dark"