Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by 8 Cherry Garcia View Post
Or anyone responding to a routine traffic callout from ATC by saying "we're Popeye!"-->dewalt
Well, I guess I'm a tool as I've used the term.

It's part of the "Brevity code". It essentially means flying in reduced visibility or in and out of clouds.

Thus suppose ATC calls out traffic and you have the aircraft in sight but you know you'll lose the aircraft momentarily when you re enter the clouds.

I would guess you didn't fly in the military...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Da Hudge

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer

Originally Posted by Wasatch Phantom View Post

It's part of the "Brevity code". It essentially means flying in reduced visibility or in and out of clouds.

Thus suppose ATC calls out traffic and you have the aircraft in sight but you know you'll lose the aircraft momentarily when you re enter the clouds.

I'm trying to figure out how I've never even heard this before. I guess picking your nose in the cockpit and hiding the boogers in creative places is a full time job.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: A big one that looks like a little one

Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp

I've got to call it out that these are just pet peeves and not actual toolishness.
Toolishness. I like that!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by Wasatch Phantom View Post

Why would you use a term that a good portion of those on frequency have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? I don't remember seeing it in the pilot/controller glossary. I heard that term the other day and we both just looked at each other and said: "Did that guy just say he was Popeye?" It invariably turned into a discussion about whether not Olive Oyl was hot, and what she ever saw in Bluto, because we both agreed he was a real tool. So, we did in fact get a good laugh out of it. Although my time is all purely civilian, the Captain did have a military background and yet we were both clueless as to what the term meant. At least now I know.

Last edited by shoelu; 04-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: LAX ERA

Originally Posted by shoelu View Post
Why would you use a term that a good portion of those on frequency have absolutely no idea what you are talking about? I don't remember seeing it in the pilot/controller glossary. I heard that term the other day and we both just looked at each other and said: "Did that guy just say he was Popeye?" It invariably turned into a discussion about whether not Olive Oyl was hot, and what she ever saw in Bluto, because we both agreed he was a real tool. So, we did in fact get a good laugh out of it. Although my time is all purely civilian, the Captain did have a military background and yet we were both clueless as to what the term meant. At least now I know.
I'll have to look it up, maybe it's an antique term no longer in the book. But, I agree with Wasatch, when you're trying to cut down the radio chatter from the traffic alert, a one word response that you ain't going to see the guy the controller is calling out to you is good. IMHO

But, if the controllers don't know what it means anymore, I'll stop using it.

Ferd <------I guess a tool
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

And saying "popeye" is way faster than saying "IMC", which actually is in the AIM and pilot controller glossary.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
The Brown Dot +1

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: 777B

Originally Posted by Ferd149 View Post
I'll have to look it up, maybe it's an antique term no longer in the book. But, I agree with Wasatch, when you're trying to cut down the radio chatter from the traffic alert, a one word response that you ain't going to see the guy the controller is calling out to you is good. IMHO

But, if the controllers don't know what it means anymore, I'll stop using it.

Ferd <------I guess a tool
They know what it means, but the brevity codes were more used for mil to mil radio brevity. I doubt if the controllers know or care if you are winchester, but its a useful term mil to mil, same as bingo.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Urban chicken rancher.

Originally Posted by unit monster View Post
He's a tool, but then you have to include the a**hats that I've heard sign off with "c u next time". At least the controller is professional and consistent.
Well, I guess I'm a tool or an asshat since I've said that. I'll exchange some pleasantries with the controllers when the time and situation permit. And they'll do the same from time to time. Just fostering better pilot to FAA relations.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by shoelu View Post
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
And saying "popeye" is way faster than saying "IMC", which actually is in the AIM and pilot controller glossary.
Sorry Bluto, I didn't mean to call you a tool.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: LAX ERA

Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I think it is faster, but then again I'm a tool