Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Logbook...

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by unit monster View Post
He's a tool, but then you have to include the a**hats that I've heard sign off with "c u next time". At least the controller is professional and consistent.
Well, I guess I'm a tool or an asshat since I've said that. I'll exchange some pleasantries with the controllers when the time and situation permit. And they'll do the same from time to time. Just fostering better pilot to FAA relations.
OK, I can't tell if you're being coy or not, but if you're trying to be polite, you probably wanna strike the "C U Next Time" from your vocabulary. "See you later" or "Bye" can't be misconstrued...i.e....

"Did that tool just call me a (unt?"
Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

Originally Posted by buzzpat View Post
APC post of the year! So true. And it takes an LA guy to corroborate it. What's up with the tools (collectively) in that dungeon of a pilot lounge in ATL? They scare me.
Me too buzz. The whole ATL crew lounge experience is a testament to the psyche markup thatndal screened for. My previous employers crew room was a heck of a lot of fun. I cannot believe how quiet that lounge is. Makes me scratch may head and then leave. Rather walk around if possible.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
Me too buzz. The whole ATL crew lounge experience is a testament to the psyche markup thatndal screened for. My previous employers crew room was a heck of a lot of fun. I cannot believe how quiet that lounge is. Makes me scratch may head and then leave. Rather walk around if possible.
Maybe people are quiet so they don't wake up the snoozing Captains on the broken black barcoloungers. The FO's don't want them stirring and telling them to get off APC and eat. Meanwhile, everyone is looking over each others shoulder to out screen names. It is like a weird Air Force Academy Class of 79 and Pirates of Silicon Valley (or Hackers) mash up.

Shhh, we should be quiet! Wow, did you know Bucking Bar was in such good shape? Wow, he must work out.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

I don't know why I always thought it would be funny to walk in there one day, in uniform, donning an over-sized, flashy Mexican Sombrero.

I'd bet the family farm that not one person would laugh or "get it".
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

In ATL, no. A very somber-faced assistant chief pilot would pull you aside. And you'd try to explain it's a joke, and they'd say they get it (which of course they wouldn't), but it's not in the FOM, and why did y'all have on a sambrairo agin'?

But I bet you they'd laugh if you tried it in an Aeromexico pilot lounge.

Let us know.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by Sink r8 View Post
In ATL, no. A very somber-faced assistant chief pilot would pull you aside. And you'd try to explain it's a joke, and they say, they get it (which of course they wouldn't), but it's not in the FOM, and why did have on a sombrero again?

But I bet you they'd laugh if you tried it in an Aeromexico pilot lounge.

Let us know.
I'm no where near senior enough to pull off a stunt like that.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

You're off probation, you're senior enough. If you're not, Buzzpat will write you a letter. I hear he writes real good.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

This drives me nuts, and its only regional guys that seem to say this. Controller - XXXX reduce your speed to 270." Pilot -"ok, reducing 270 on the nose."

Why do people say on the nose, whats the significance? I dont get it
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
This drives me nuts, and its only regional guys that seem to say this. Controller - XXXX reduce your speed to 270." Pilot -"ok, reducing 270 on the nose."

Why do people say on the nose, whats the significance? I dont get it
I hear it more often from mainline guys myself.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: A big one that looks like a little one

Originally Posted by Red Forman

I hear it more often from mainline guys myself.
It's because our airplanes don't fly normal increment speeds. Normally they're flying a Cost Index Mach so they're doing 262kts at .763 Mach. So we adjust to an on the nose speed of 260 knots. Well. I don't. I just set the speed and glare at the guy on the radios who just said "on the nose popeye bingo" then lectures me on the brevity code.