Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Turbosina, that irritates me to no end, just thinking about it. I've flown into SNA a number of times, and at FedEx, we just smack it on because it's a short freaking runway. Nobody apologizes, nobody explains, but we don't have obnoxious dumba$$es making cracks about it.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: CRJ CA

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
Turbosina, that irritates me to no end, just thinking about it. I've flown into SNA a number of times, and at FedEx, we just smack it on because it's a short freaking runway. Nobody apologizes, nobody explains, but we don't have obnoxious dumba$$es making cracks about it.
Yeah, it was a pretty obnoxious comment. Usually I enjoy interacting with most passengers, aside from the ones who come out with the following comments while boarding. Since RJ cockpits are very close to the main cabin door, we get to hear probably more inane chatter during boarding than you mainline guys.

• "Is this the plane? Oh my GOD it's so SMALL!" (note: deadheading in the back of a DAL 757 I once heard a passenger say this upon boarding. What do they expect, hourly A380 service to Dubuque?

• "Hey, you guys aren't drunk or anything, are you?" (This is inevitably said by a male passenger sticking his head into the cockpit on boarding.)

• "I want to look at the pilots to see if they got enough sleep last night." (True story. Verbatim quote. Female passenger to FA during boarding. It was all I could do not to slump in my seat and start snoring loudly.)

• "Hey guys, I got a bunch of hours on Microsoft Flight Sim, so if you need any help, I'll be in 11A!" (Heard this three times now.)

But by FAR the one that got me the most angry was the following: A couple weeks after the Germanwings crash, I'm in the crew hotel in MEM waiting for the van. Two people with bags are waiting in the lobby for the same van. The husband turns to me and says "Are you a first officer?", to which I reply "Yes." And he says, "Well, I hope you're not depressed today."

Nitwits.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I'd be tempted to be ready with some sarcastic remarks. Like...

"As you obviously know, it's not the size that matters."

"Hey, I fly better when I'm drunk."

"Nah, I was planning on getting my nap during the landing."

"I am a little depressed, but at least I brought my gun".

Probably good I'm not flying passengers!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: CRJ CA

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
I'd be tempted to be ready with some sarcastic remarks. Like...

"As you obviously know, it's not the size that matters."

"Hey, I fly better when I'm drunk."

"Nah, I was planning on getting my nap during the landing."

"I am a little depressed, but at least I brought my gun".

Probably good I'm not flying passengers!
Well done, sir. Well done.

I've only given a sarcastic reply to a passenger comment once. I was deadheading in the back, in full uniform, and this woman next to me just wouldn't stop talking. She made some idiotic comment about chemtrails and I responded gently with an explanation of what contrails really are.

She looks at me in disgust. "What are you, a pilot or something?"

Mind you – I was in full uniform.

I couldn't help myself. I responded as politely as I could, "No, I just like to dress like this for fun."

The conversation pretty much petered out after that. I mean...just how clueless can someone be?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

That is hilarious! Yeah, people can be pretty clueless. My favorite story happened about five years ago, when I was sitting in an exit row with my kids. The flight attendant gave us the exit row briefing, asked if we were willing to help in event of emergency. We all said yes, but I guess I don't look too tough, since the guy in front of me turned around and said, "Don't worry, honey, if something happens, I'll help you out". To which I smiled, and said, "Well, seeing as I've been either a military or airline pilot for over 25 years now, I think I can figure it out." My kids laughed hysterically. Poor guy, he turned bright red and turned around.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
What? Why do you disagree?
Not that the kid with the laser isn't a royal tool, but have you read this guy's posts? He comes on a forum called AIRLINEPILOTcentral and starts bashing the FFDO program and making all kinds of ludicrous insinuations about something he's got no clue about and in fact a part of aviation than he has no experience with (part 121).

At least in my estimation that easily puts him into TOTD distinction.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 AM
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Not that the kid with the laser isn't a royal tool, but have you read this guy's posts? He comes on a forum called AIRLINEPILOTcentral and starts bashing the FFDO program and making all kinds of ludicrous insinuations about something he's got no clue about and in fact a part of aviation than he has no experience with (part 121).

At least in my estimation that easily puts him into TOTD distinction.
He's a troll, just quit feeding him.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: DOWNGRADE COMPLETE: Thanks Gary. Thanks SWAPA.

Originally Posted by MikeF16 View Post
He's a troll, just quit feeding him.
Good advice. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Some weekends off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: ECS operator

I nominate the <<Brand X Regional>> FO who rode the jumpseat on my long flight to <<Hub>> the other day. If you were trying to impress us by dropping names of people you know at <<This Airline>>, telling tales of flight instructing ROTC cadets and serving as a crewmember aboard some high ranking guy’s transport aircraft, showing us your whiz bang new tablet (very similar to the ones we’ve been using) and using your vast aviation knowledge to help “diagnose” a system abnormality on our aircraft - which you have zero time in - well, you didn’t. All of that, though, was mildly and humorously tolerable. But when our aforementioned aircraft system abnormality progressed to the point where I needed to pull the QRH and read through and execute a procedure, continuing your incessant babbling crossed into the annoying regime. Dude, when I’m reading step three of a QRH checklist and verifying it with the other crewmember, I really don’t care what the hell your tablet is capable of doing and how cool it is to have your systems study guide and courseware on it. Catch a clue. Oh, by the way, I wasn’t the only one in the cockpit who thought that most of your comments and drivel smacked of “Man, I’m really cool! I can’t believe I haven’t been hired at <<This Airline>>.” If your aim really is to get on with <<This Airline>> or <<That Airline>>, you might want to rethink your approach and presence in the cockpit - and in general.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Hot tub for now

Roses FTW...