Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Had a pax poke his head into the cockpit during deplaning belligerently demanding to know why we took off with a tailwind.

" Because it was safe and because it was legal. If you have a couple of minutes I can go over the performance calculations with you."

Offer declined.

I would be surprised if until this day he does not tell the story to his adoring friends of the time he called out the stupid professionals for being professional.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by Hetman View Post
Had a pax poke his head into the cockpit during deplaning belligerently demanding to know why we took off with a tailwind.

" Because it was safe and because it was legal. If you have a couple of minutes I can go over the performance calculations with you."

Offer declined.

I would be surprised if until this day he does not tell the story to his adoring friends of the time he called out the stupid professionals for being professional.
Had a similar experience flying into someplace in the northeast on Christmas eve a few years ago. The weather was reported as just above cat 1 mins with snow so we shoot the approach. Get to DH and no lights, no runway, still in the soup. Go missed. Airliner behind us does the same. We get a box vector and get set up for the cat 2 and try again. The second attempt is uneventful (except that the weather was closer to cat 2 mins than cat 1) and we taxi to the gate. I'm standing in the jet way looking at the paperwork for the flight back while passengers collect their gate check bags. One middle-aged man approaches me and angrily demands to know the reason for the missed approach. I explain the above in layman's terms to which he replies (still fuming) that he could have landed in this and that we were a couple of chicken schnitz (his exact words). I calmly reminded him that the fact he was in the jetway at his destination more or less on time suggested that we had indeed landed to which he responds with another muttered "chicken schnitz". Attempting to difuse the situation, I then say "Sir, you sound like you must be a pilot so surely you..." Before I can finish my sentence he proudly presents his private pilot certificate with an instrument rating. Dumbfounded, all I could reply with was "well...you guys are the most dangerous pilots in aviation. I hope you have a safe drive home."
Old 01-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Originally Posted by freezingflyboy View Post
Had a similar experience flying into someplace in the northeast on Christmas eve a few years ago. The weather was reported as just above cat 1 mins with snow so we shoot the approach. Get to DH and no lights, no runway, still in the soup. Go missed. Airliner behind us does the same. We get a box vector and get set up for the cat 2 and try again. The second attempt is uneventful (except that the weather was closer to cat 2 mins than cat 1) and we taxi to the gate. I'm standing in the jet way looking at the paperwork for the flight back while passengers collect their gate check bags. One middle-aged man approaches me and angrily demands to know the reason for the missed approach. I explain the above in layman's terms to which he replies (still fuming) that he could have landed in this and that we were a couple of chicken schnitz (his exact words). I calmly reminded him that the fact he was in the jetway at his destination more or less on time suggested that we had indeed landed to which he responds with another muttered "chicken schnitz". Attempting to difuse the situation, I then say "Sir, you sound like you must be a pilot so surely you..." Before I can finish my sentence he proudly presents his private pilot certificate with an instrument rating. Dumbfounded, all I could reply with was "well...you guys are the most dangerous pilots in aviation. I hope you have a safe drive home."

Well Done!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
I guess that's a positive attitude! I deadhead all the time, and have never heard a flight attendant come across so rude. I guess it was starting out with the long, loud, disgusted sigh that got my blood pressure going up.
Rest assured your life is probably a lot better than his if he has to have such negativity (and both of ours are better than a few commenters' here miserable existence!)

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty obnoxious comment. Usually I enjoy interacting with most passengers, aside from the ones who come out with the following comments while boarding. Since RJ cockpits are very close to the main cabin door, we get to hear probably more inane chatter during boarding than you mainline guys.

snip

But by FAR the one that got me the most angry was the following: A couple weeks after the Germanwings crash, I'm in the crew hotel in MEM waiting for the van. Two people with bags are waiting in the lobby for the same van. The husband turns to me and says "Are you a first officer?", to which I reply "Yes." And he says, "Well, I hope you're not depressed today."

Nitwits.
Don't be angry. People are nervous. They are trying to be funny. Just on Monday somebody asked me before operation "so how many beers did you have last night?"

I always smile and say something like "I'm not sure, I lost count after 14" or something like "oh no you can still smell it on me?" or "not as many as I had this morning", before reassuring them that I had no beers at all.

Just help the pax relax and let it roll off of ya.

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
I'd be tempted to be ready with some sarcastic remarks. Like...

"As you obviously know, it's not the size that matters."

"Hey, I fly better when I'm drunk."

"Nah, I was planning on getting my nap during the landing."

"I am a little depressed, but at least I brought my gun".

Probably good I'm not flying passengers!
Great.

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Not that the kid with the laser isn't a royal tool, but have you read this guy's posts? He comes on a forum called AIRLINEPILOTcentral and starts bashing the FFDO program and making all kinds of ludicrous insinuations about something he's got no clue about and in fact a part of aviation than he has no experience with (part 121).

At least in my estimation that easily puts him into TOTD distinction.
LOL. Public policy has little to do with flying a plane, big guy. TSA's FFDO policy is not made by pilots.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Some people are spring-loaded toward hostility. I remember probably around 25 years ago before iphones and ipads, I saw the United captain of my flight out front when we were both waiting for rides. I called out to him "thanks for 9" and he looked like he was going to punch me in the face. I said "uh um sorry thank you for activating channel 9, I know you don't have to and some of us really enjoy listening" and he totally relaxed and said "oh you're welcome." I always wonder what he thought I meant.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty obnoxious comment. Usually I enjoy interacting with most passengers, aside from the ones who come out with the following comments while boarding. Since RJ cockpits are very close to the main cabin door, we get to hear probably more inane chatter during boarding than you mainline guys.

• "Is this the plane? Oh my GOD it's so SMALL!" (note: deadheading in the back of a DAL 757 I once heard a passenger say this upon boarding. What do they expect, hourly A380 service to Dubuque?

• "Hey, you guys aren't drunk or anything, are you?" (This is inevitably said by a male passenger sticking his head into the cockpit on boarding.)

• "I want to look at the pilots to see if they got enough sleep last night." (True story. Verbatim quote. Female passenger to FA during boarding. It was all I could do not to slump in my seat and start snoring loudly.)

• "Hey guys, I got a bunch of hours on Microsoft Flight Sim, so if you need any help, I'll be in 11A!" (Heard this three times now.)

But by FAR the one that got me the most angry was the following: A couple weeks after the Germanwings crash, I'm in the crew hotel in MEM waiting for the van. Two people with bags are waiting in the lobby for the same van. The husband turns to me and says "Are you a first officer?", to which I reply "Yes." And he says, "Well, I hope you're not depressed today."

Nitwits.
I once had this happen to me flying out of or into Canada. Some lady sitting next to me said ...jeez this is such a small airplane (CRJ700 ) and I replied yes ma'am it is, but I don't see United flying a 747 into this airport to pick up 60 people a day🙃
Oh and btw this is the largest airplane your country makes...
Her face was one of shock...then she said no we make boeings and stuff...
I told her no Americans build those in Washington...
We didn't talk rest of the flight .
Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Looking for a laugh

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
Public policy has little to do with flying a plane, big guy. TSA's FFDO policy is not made by pilots.
Pretty sure ALPA had a hand and say in crafting the policy through working groups and PACs. I think you might could find a pilot or two in that organization. Just like the AMA does when the public policy being crafted concerns the medical profession.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
...Oh and btw this is the largest airplane your country makes...
Her face was one of shock...then she said no we make boeings and stuff...
I told her no Americans build those in Washington...
So you assumed she was Canadian? Why? Did she have beady eyes and a flapping head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuQOmgl_Z4
Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post
Aw, another FFDO wannabe? Leave the policymaking to the adults, cowboy.
Hardly.

Cowboy? Go play with yourself on your Microsoft flight sim and stop bothering real pilots. Like I said, you have no clue. You don't know the program, you don't know the training and you don't know the background of the guys in the program.

Many pilots have a regular law enforcement background. Many more have experience with weapons or a martial arts background. Most of the guys who got into the program to skip the TSA line left after KCM. Those that stayed put up with a lot for zero compensation. So I'd be careful with characterizing a group when you don't know a thing about them. You are stereotyping. Just like I think all doctors who fly GA are flaming a-holes.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by cactusmike View Post
Hardly.

Cowboy? Go play with yourself on your Microsoft flight sim and stop bothering real pilots. Like I said, you have no clue. You don't know the program, you don't know the training and you don't know the background of the guys in the program.

Many pilots have a regular law enforcement background. Many more have experience with weapons or a martial arts background. Most of the guys who got into the program to skip the TSA line left after KCM. Those that stayed put up with a lot for zero compensation. So I'd be careful with characterizing a group when you don't know a thing about them. You are stereotyping. Just like I think all doctors who fly GA are flaming a-holes.
I would REALLY like you y'all to buy each other a drink at a bar, because you are both turning into TOTD candidates.