Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 01-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post
Not without details/story.
I took what was clearly speculation from mostly sketchy sources, converted it to fact in my mind and not only started a new thread, but also brought it up in 2 other threads using a toolish metaphor about music stopping wrt to another pilot group.

I've been rightfully admonished and I feel like a POS.

Maybe a stint as TOTD will do me some good.

Last edited by sulkair; 01-08-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: deleted excuses.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Production Test Pilot

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: Production Test Pilot, Boeing

Originally Posted by chucknorris View Post
Flight from a carribean destination to NYC last week and this giant muscle head Italian wanna be long islander gets off the plane with his infant and wife. I'm waiting for the other guy about to head to customs, and said meat head chooses to engage in conversation. "Bro, that was one nasty flight, never been on such a bumpy flight bro". Now mind you, during this 4 hour flight we had maybe 15 minutes of light turbulence over the gulf... Certainly nothing Terrible and borderline leave the belt sign off. I just gave a reasoned "well we did our best but for the most part we got lucky and found some smooth air.... Interrupted. "No bro, listen, I fly all the time, that was the bumpiest flight ever, that was terrible, you guys did a terrible job". At this point I'm getting a bit annoyed and starting to laugh a bit at the seeing this jersey shore esk dude with his cage rattled.

Me: "sir, is this your wife"
Meathead: "yeah bro"
Me: "cool, miss how bad were the bumps in the cabin"
Her: " umm, just fine. I don't know why he's freaking out."
Me: "sir, if you continue to complain about the ride infront of your wife and your fellow Long Island passengers, I'll be forced to confiscate your man card"
Wife: laughter
Meathead: silence
The guy sounds like Johnny Drama.

rg5is.jpg
Old 01-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

sulkair, I don't know if that qualifies. If you screw up and recognize it, I don't think you're a tool. Tools don't generally realize what they are, and certainly don't feel bad about being one.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
sulkair, I don't know if that qualifies. If you screw up and recognize it, I don't think you're a tool. Tools don't generally realize what they are, and certainly don't feel bad about being one.
Makes me feel better. I appreciate it busdriver.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
Makes me feel better. I appreciate it busdriver.
Glad to help. And if you fessed up and apologized, in particular you are not a POS, as you called yourself. We have all made errors in judgment, that's for sure!

Now just don't let it torment you.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by cactusmike View Post
Hardly.

Cowboy? Go play with yourself on your Microsoft flight sim and stop bothering real pilots. Like I said, you have no clue. You don't know the program, you don't know the training and you don't know the background of the guys in the program.

Many pilots have a regular law enforcement background. Many more have experience with weapons or a martial arts background. Most of the guys who got into the program to skip the TSA line left after KCM. Those that stayed put up with a lot for zero compensation. So I'd be careful with characterizing a group when you don't know a thing about them. You are stereotyping. Just like I think all doctors who fly GA are flaming a-holes.

Look cactus, I do see your point of view, and I recognize the varied participants. Why do the ones that stay, stay? It is a fantasy that having a known armed crewmember would seal security holes without opening up legion more. Cowboy mentality, enabled by bad policy, and only a subset of fervent participants, as you reference, continue to participate and "put up with a lot."

You are welcome to share some scenarios and a good analysis where you think that having a pilot carry a gun on a commercial airliner behind a locked door would be a net advantage, in a new thread. Or just call all doctors a-holes instead. Attacking for stating the obvious is pretty silly.

Fortunately I predict the program will be ended pretty shortly, and rightly so.

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
I would REALLY like you y'all to buy each other a drink at a bar, because you are both turning into TOTD candidates.
I do help people on APC professionally and have done so in the past. I'll buy a round if I ever see you in the terminal. We should make APC luggage tags!

I see why other fellow pilots are reluctant to bring up touchy subjects, despite the vast majority having identical feelings to me. I don't have to spend hours with a potentially armed hothead in a tiny room, and if I did I might not express my views in the same way. As others here have said, though, sometimes it is good to break the echo-chamber. We doctors need and do that often.

I am a gun owner myself, but the post-1990's NRA and increasingly crazy carry-your-gun-everywhere extremists left me, and most people dedicated to healing, a long long time ago.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: Seat: Vegan friendly faux leather

Originally Posted by thevagabond View Post
Like cardiomd eloquently said, they're nervous. They probably don't like flying to begin with and are anxious. And some of our brother's haven't exactly been behaving in a manner that fills them with a warm and fuzzy feeling when surrendering their lives and all control to us. I never take it personally and spin it back as a joke with a big smile and then engage them in small talk and personal attention. It works great to put them at ease.
Thanks, FTFY, and well said. Part of being a professional is helping and educating people when you are in the role, even if they are being annoying or toolish.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by cardiomd View Post

You are welcome to share some scenarios and a good analysis where you think that having a pilot carry a gun on a commercial airliner behind a locked door would be a net advantage, in a new thread.
Your above statement is a complete explanation why you have your head up your arse, yet continue with your arrogant as well as ignorant pontificating about the pros and cons of the FFDO program without a shred of detailed knowledge of day to day operations and current airline security issues.

You have been told to Shut-F-U and "run along" by those with intimate knowledge of the program and airline security issues yet the only retort you have is the endless yapping about "hot headed cowboys" like some stoned unlicensed herbal healer who endlessly yaps that all Doctors are "quacks".

Now you want to have an internet round table in an open forum discussing detailed security issues in an airline cockpit?

Run along now and fantasize with some of those Cessna pilot books like "There I was IMC at Flight Level 180 in a Partially Occluded Warm Front in my P210"
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Words.......I have none.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC

Originally Posted by Dolphinflyer View Post
Your above statement is a complete explanation why you have your head up your arse, yet continue with your arrogant as well as ignorant pontificating about the pros and cons of the FFDO program without a shred of detailed knowledge of day to day operations and current airline security issues.

You have been told to Shut-F-U and "run along" by those with intimate knowledge of the program and airline security issues yet the only retort you have is the endless yapping about "hot headed cowboys" like some stoned unlicensed herbal healer who endlessly yaps that all Doctors are "quacks".

Now you want to have an internet round table in an open forum discussing detailed security issues in an airline cockpit?

Run along now and fantasize with some of those Cessna pilot books like "There I was IMC at Flight Level 180 in a Partially Occluded Warm Front in my P210"
That reply was more toolish than the good doctors query