Search
Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by Dolphinflyer View Post

You state you are a Commercial Pilot? Just the rating or actual real experience in 135/121, large aircraft 91 or Military Ops?

Thanks
"Commercial pilot" doesn't need to be capitalized. Are you a commercial pilot? I'd think you'd know how to title yourself if you have any operational experience. :roll eyes:

It's also a commercial certificate, or license, not a "rating". Ratings are additions, such as an IFR or type, they add to your certificate; something else I'd figure you'd know.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Da Hudge

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer

Cardio,

The turkey story isn't even news for most major airline pilots. A good many of us have seen far worse. Probably news for the new guys or those that have little operational experience. A comfort goose, pig and my favorite, a pitbull are some of my favorite past highlights.

You state you are a Commercial Pilot? Just the rating or actual real experience in 135/121, large aircraft 91 or Military Ops?

Thanks
An emotional support turkey isn't news to you?? I've seen pigs and dogs... never a turkey!

Sounds more like an axe to grind against the dr for you...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
"Commercial pilot" doesn't need to be capitalized. Are you a commercial pilot? I'd think you'd know how to title yourself if you have any operational experience. :roll eyes:

It's also a commercial certificate, or license, not a "rating". Ratings are additions, such as an IFR or type, they add to your certificate; something else I'd figure you'd know.
Sorry about my poor English skills, it's been 3+ decades since my last Freshman English class. It's also been almost the same length of time since my last CFI work. You're right, it is proper to call it a certificate. Just about every reference I've dealt with since then has been a "rating".

My bad. It gets a little confusing sometimes trying to pronounce "Kinston" and "Kingston" in the same trip, remembering that ORD APP freaks out over 10kt speed diffs unlike others, figuring out if Havana is 120.25, 124.55 or 123.7 each day and what a "Flat Rock" looks like compared to a "Sail Rock"

I admit, there was a little digging on the turkey post. I was wondering about someone's claim as a commercial pilot and what exactly that meant. MY background is GA and have seen many claim what they are not.

The turkey looked like a good crew meal if the flight was long enough for a oven cook
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
An emotional support turkey isn't news to you?? I've seen pigs and dogs... never a turkey!

Sounds more like an axe to grind against the dr for you...
Agreed. I have seen a "comfort snake" once. That was weird...
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: systems analyst

Sorry about my poor English skills, it's been 3+ decades since my last Freshman English class. It's also been almost the same length of time since my last CFI work. You're right, it is proper to call it a certificate. Just about every reference I've dealt with since then has been a "rating".

My bad. It gets a little confusing sometimes trying to pronounce "Kinston" and "Kingston" in the same trip, remembering that ORD APP freaks out over 10kt speed diffs unlike others, figuring out if Havana is 120.25, 124.55 or 123.7 each day and what a "Flat Rock" looks like compared to a "Sail Rock"

I admit, there was a little digging on the turkey post. I was wondering about someone's claim as a commercial pilot and what exactly that meant. MY background is GA and have seen many claim what they are not.

The turkey looked like a good crew meal if the flight was long enough for a oven cook
Don't worry dude, all the normal people understood what you were saying. He is just one of those literal folk that has to drive everyone around them nuts instead of just chillin out. Certificate? Rating? Who cares ffs
Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: A319 Left

Cardio,

The turkey story isn't even news for most major airline pilots. A good many of us have seen far worse. Probably news for the new guys or those that have little operational experience. A comfort goose, pig and my favorite, a Pitbull are some of my favorite past highlights.

Thanks
You are my first nomination, You've been watching a bit too much sensationalist media and have probably never spent more than a few seconds around a Pitbull. In a good home they are good dogs, very affectionate sweet animals. In my opinion, they would make an excellent therapy animal.

Last edited by Bulldog319; 01-17-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

Originally Posted by encore View Post
The drivers where you are from are the worst. Nobody knows how bad traffic can be until they've driven through your city.
In spending a lot time in so many different cities around the U.S., it is apparent there is no one state or city that really has a corner on the market of incapable, arrogant, rude, and clueless drivers. They seem to be spread equally across the board.
Parity has been achieved.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by RhinoPherret View Post
In spending a lot time in so many different cities around the U.S., it is apparent there is no one state or city that really has a corner on the market of incapable, arrogant, rude, and clueless drivers. They seem to be spread equally across the board.
Parity has been achieved.
You might want to talk to any auto insurance company, they have the numbers to show where the worst drivers are. I know that when I moved from New Hampshire to Miami, my auto insurance rates TRIPPLED. I called my insurance company, USAA, to complain, thinking there must have been a mistake, no way could the rates go up 300%!

They said, "Nope, no mistake, you were in one of the best areas, but no you are now living in one of the WORST cities for accidents, uninsured drivers AND auto theft, so just send us the $900 and you're good..."

Then on almost every drive to/from work in MIA, I'd witness an auto accident caused by bad drivers changing lanes without signaling, cutting people off, hitting the brakes for no reason, usually in the passing lane, trying to go far left lane across 4 lanes to make an exit, and pulling lots of other stupid moves. In the rain it only got worse! Good thing it never snows in MIA.

In my previous 10 years of driving to work in BOS, in rain, snow and 'Boston Drivers' (known to be very aggressive) I never once witnessed an accident. I used to tell people, "Yeah, they are aggressive, but they know how to drive!"
Old 01-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by Bulldog319 View Post
You are my first nomination, You've been watching a bit too much sensationalist media and have probably never spent more than a few seconds around a Pitbull. In a good home they are good dogs, very affectionate sweet animals. In my opinion, they would make an excellent therapy animal.
You're right. With the right owner, it's the same as any dog. Well almost. It's one thing to have one at home or a controlled environment. It's another to take a fiercely loyal one into crowded environment where one of the many lunatics inhabiting the typical terminal might set it off. It's one thing to drop kick an angry Shih Tzu across the gate area if it's having a 'moment'. It's another thing to do the same with a pit. One would probably have their tibia going with the dog.

In my case, if I saw Cesar Romero walking through the terminal after training the dog from a pup, I wouldn't blink an eye.

What I saw was "LaQuesha", all blinged out, strutting her overweight arse through the terminal while blinding everyone with her 14K gold uppers along with the miniature Swarzenegger with a spiked studded collar.

Million to one odds of that dog snapping with that background.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012

Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
You might want to talk to any auto insurance company, they have the numbers to show where the worst drivers are. I know that when I moved from New Hampshire to Miami, my auto insurance rates TRIPPLED. I called my insurance company, USAA, to complain, thinking there must have been a mistake, no way could the rates go up 300%!

They said, "Nope, no mistake, you were in one of the best areas, but no you are now living in one of the WORST cities for accidents, uninsured drivers AND auto theft, so just send us the $900 and you're good..."

Then on almost every drive to/from work in MIA, I'd witness an auto accident caused by bad drivers changing lanes without signaling, cutting people off, hitting the brakes for no reason, usually in the passing lane, trying to go far left lane across 4 lanes to make an exit, and pulling lots of other stupid moves. In the rain it only got worse! Good thing it never snows in MIA.

In my previous 10 years of driving to work in BOS, in rain, snow and 'Boston Drivers' (known to be very aggressive) I never once witnessed an accident. I used to tell people, "Yeah, they are aggressive, but they know how to drive!"
Disagree.

Observations of drivers easily shows that the bad driving habits are universal and the same regardless of where said drivers ply their trade. I am just talking about driving habits. Not throwing in vehicle theft and uninsured drivers.
Statistics also show that bad drivers are not unique to any one area. Increased numbers of accidents are based more on the amount of vehicles in a given location than any unique driving capabilities or lack of.